Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS Black Raven 6MT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All

Just wondering if folks have been able to run a taller tire for winter on the stock wheels?

225/45/17 stock
215/50/17 Seen this successfully done
225/50/17 - Doable?
215/55/17 - Doable? Maybe not...

I realize id give up handling with a 55 series sidewall, but no hot doggin in the winter anyways, just tryin to get maximum ground clearance and the 55 series are also $40 cheaper each! no 205/55/17 available

·
Registered
2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Sedan
70 Posts
Personally, I've run the smallest tire available for my vehicles. The winter tire is very soft, and going taller the car will really feel like it's floating side to side and may be uncomfortable. But this is my first AWD vehicle, so I'll see if I'll need to run a winter tire or not. Some tire places have a 10 day try-out period, maybe that's a way for you.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Black Raven 6MT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I've run the smallest tire available for my vehicles. The winter tire is very soft, and going taller the car will really feel like it's floating side to side and may be uncomfortable. But this is my first AWD vehicle, so I'll see if I'll need to run a winter tire or not. Some tire places have a 10 day try-out period, maybe that's a way for you.
To each their own, but everything ive read and experienced myself in winter driving. You want a bigger sidewall and a slightly skinnier contact patch. Reason being is smoother ride over rougher, pothole and frost heave ridden roads over the winter months. Skinnier to increase ground pressure slightly. As well as ground clearance for the very snowy days. You also wont experience the G forces in the winter you would in the summer, so lateral stiffness doesnt matter as much to me. Tall sidewalls protect from the spring-time potholes as well...you know, the kind that sneak up on ya, and feels like it swallow your whole wheel...

Your AWD car also sits higher than my RWD vehicle, I constantly am the lowest vehicle on the road with the snow beatin on the under-side of my car. You do you, but I 100% disagree.

·
Registered
2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Sedan
70 Posts
I don't disagree with having a skinny tall tire for the winter. Which also goes with a smaller diameter wheel. Example: The car I owned prior used a 235/45R18 for summer. For the Winter, I ran a 215/60R16. But this year I put on the New Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady (true all-weather tire) on my wife's MiniVan. So I'll see if it really is as good a dedicated tire.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Black Raven 6MT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I've run the smallest tire available for my vehicles.
I don't disagree with having a skinny tall tire for the winter. Which also goes with a smaller diameter wheel.
You are kind of contradicting yourself in you two posts then...did you mean smallest diameter wheel in your first post?

At any rate im running a 235/40/18 for summers, and have decided to go for a 225/50/17 for winter on the stock wheels. I think its the largest that will fit the wheel-well, with the limiting factor being the spring perch on the strut and the fender liner, kinda close to the rocker panel, seems any bigger would touch the fender liner.

Will report back findings, for the betterment of future rust-belters!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used my ATS for one Sask winter, ran Chinese 225/45/17 on steel wheels. I drove 30,000kms all over rural sask around 2K / week and didn’t have a single issue.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Black Raven 6MT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
SizeDiameter (mm)Height Gain(mm)
Stock225/45 176340
Confirmed205/50 176371.5
Confirmed215/50 176466
Confirmed (Max)225/50 1765711.5
Too Big!215/55 1766817

Just adding this in for future folks, fingers crossed they fit...they should, but will be tight! Again will report back.

·
Registered
2018 ATS 2.0T 6 Speed
161 Posts
I use 235/40/18 tires in the summer and run 225/45/17 on stock wheels in the winter.
I find this is the best winter car I have ever owned, and we get some decent snow days here in Ottawa.
I usually turn off TC, but leave stability control on, when there is snow on the ground.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Black Raven 6MT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to let folks know, 225/50/17 fits! but only just! So id recommend 215/50/17 is probably the safest bet. I wanted the biggest tire I could fit in the wheel well, Ive accomplished that! ready for Winter in my 4X4

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
1,069 Posts
I will say one thing, I don't recommend the General Altimax Arctic 12 studdable winter tires. I've had two pothole blowouts on those tires, the only two I've ever had in any car! You get what you pay for indeed!

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
Just to let folks know, 225/50/17 fits! but only just! So id recommend 215/50/17 is probably the safest bet. I wanted the biggest tire I could fit in the wheel well, Ive accomplished that! ready for Winter in my 4X4
Glad to hear the 225/50/17 fits, however do you have any rubbing during full lock turns? Curious why you’re suggesting the 215 if this is the case? I am currently running a 225/45/17 for winter on stock 17s and want a taller winter tire for the same reasons. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS
430 Posts
To be honest this may actually back fire, you need the clearance in the winter more than the summer. Snow is thicker and can build up there much faster, you also don't want the tire sticking outside because you'll be spraying slush at other drivers.

I will say one thing, I don't recommend the General Altimax Arctic 12 studdable winter tires. I've had two pothole blowouts on those tires, the only two I've ever had in any car! You get what you pay for indeed!
Thats unfortunate, but that is more of a problem with hitting potholes than with tires. Unfortunately, most tires are susceptible to blowouts when they hit physical barriers, curbs, animals, debris, etc.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T coupe
69 Posts
Hey All

Just wondering if folks have been able to run a taller tire for winter on the stock wheels?

225/45/17 stock
215/50/17 Seen this successfully done
225/50/17 - Doable?
215/55/17 - Doable? Maybe not...

I realize id give up handling with a 55 series sidewall, but no hot doggin in the winter anyways, just tryin to get maximum ground clearance and the 55 series are also $40 cheaper each! no 205/55/17 available
I'm about ready for new tires as 2 of them are at 40,000. The other 2 are newer because I've had blowouts from potholes.
I am pretty sure I am not going to get Run Flats. They just seem to be to hard and make to much noise.
I have 225/40 R18 88V on front and 255/35 R18 90V on the back.
Im thinking ill stay with that but just looking for a good tire without run flat function.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Black Raven 6MT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad to hear the 225/50/17 fits, however do you have any rubbing during full lock turns? Curious why you’re suggesting the 215 if this is the case? I am currently running a 225/45/17 for winter on stock 17s and want a taller winter tire for the same reasons. Thanks for the info.
Sorry for the late reply, small amount of rub at maybe half turn, took a heat gun and remoulded the fender liner there to clear. Perfect now. Full lock totally fine. Love the setup BTW, had 6-8 fresh inches the other day on the road and walked through it like nothing. Better clearance under the car as well and more sidewall on the rough winter roads. Very happy with the setup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.