Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96' Eldorado, 00' Volvo 770 N14+ 525HP
154 Posts
Dont trade her in, you love that Caddy! Just get the aftermarket kit from Arnott, as long as your compressor is good they are easy to change. My compressor and shocks were bad so I just got the aftermarket spring ones for $115 to my front door off of ebay, and so far Ive only bottomed out once, other than that Im very satisfied with them. But being half intoxicated going 65mph down a 35 and hitting a dip in the road doesnt count! Damn dip! :)

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Yeah i didn't notice any difference with passive shocks either. I actually thought it was an improvement from the elctronics I had in my 99 with 130k miles.
In other words don't sell it the car is worth fixing.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
First, are the shocks truly seized? If so, you would know it, it would ride like a tractor. It's most likely a problem with the rear leveling system, and not the shocks themselves. Even if both shocks were physically seized and broken (again, I don't think this would be the case), $1000 each is way too expensive. These should be $600, $650 max, each, from somewhere like Rockauto.com.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,104 Posts
:alchi:FWIW, Crown Vic is an accident waiting for a place to happen. From (his) first post a few weeks ago to now, NOTHING is right or correct with his (supposed) Cadillac. Either this dude is abysmally ignorant or is getting his jollies by pulling someone's leg.

·
Registered
99 STS
700 Posts
jadcock's post makes sense, I have never seen shocks frozen in the up position in my 30 years in the auto industry. I bet the venting system is plugged. I've seen this happen on many Lincolns and Mercury’s with air suspension, a replacement compressor, or broken wire to the vent solenoid was the fix.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
The only way I could see that happening is if someone else replaced the shocks with passive and those are what siezed. I have never heard of the factory ones siezing.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
Can't imagine both sides seizing at the same moment.
My money is also on the leveling system.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
Wow! Was this car in a flood? From reading all your post seems that you got the whole barrel of lemons. I think you should just cut your loses and walk away from that one! There are alot of great caddies out there! Good luck man!

David

·
Registered
1993 Eldo 4.9 66K miles
368 Posts
:alchi:FWIW, Crown Vic is an accident waiting for a place to happen. From (his) first post a few weeks ago to now, NOTHING is right or correct with his (supposed) Cadillac. Either this dude is abysmally ignorant or is getting his jollies by pulling someone's leg.
Or he bought my car's twin brother.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Dude, I don't mean to be rude or anything but where the hell did you get this car and how much did you pay for it? How many miles are on it? Does it have a clean title? Did you have it checked out before you bought it? Did you look at any other ones before you bought this? Did you get it from a dealer? If so demand your money back, threaten to sue, and report them to the BBB. But since you're getting none of this repaired under any sort of warranty I'm inclined to think that you either bought it from a private party or from an auction.

As far as this particular problem you're describing I have never in my life seen or heard of this happening to any car regardless of make. The odds would have to be a billion to one that both shocks would not only seize, but also at the same time while in an up position. I'd have to agree with jadock on this one.

Like I said, I don't mean to be rude but these are all questions that everyone on here is probably wondering. You either got horribly ripped off or you bought what you paid for.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky or not, but then again I did buy a one owner with low miles and a full service/maintenance history from the same dealer my family has been going to for 40 years. I had a good idea about the kind and amount of problems these things have when they've been neglected so there was no way I wasn't going to buy the best one for the best price possible.

·
Registered
90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger
963 Posts
They're prolly seized in the up position because the compressor failed or the seals in the lines to the shocks went and the previous owner had the shocks filled w/air to a higher ride height (I did this trick on my 90 Eldo) and then just capped them off. Just go w/Arnotts, they're decent...

New Cadillac Seville Rear Air Shock Kit

Price: $329.00 <----THAT'S THE PRICE FOR BOTH REARS...

New Cadillac Seville Rear Air Shock Kit
Our new rear air shock kit converts your electronic shocks to a much more dependable passive air shock system. The kit keeps your rear air leveling system completely operational. We have designed them to plug direct to your vehicles computer system without any alterations. Our exclusive plug in design allows for easy installation. These new air struts are so durable, that we back them with an unlimited mileage lifetime warranty.

more info about the New Cadillac Seville Rear Air Shock Kit

Quantity:

Warranty Information: LIFETIME WARRANTY. (We at Arnott, Inc. are so certain that you will be 100% satisfied with this new product that we offer you a 90-day money back guarantee.)

Arnott is a supporting dealer, their link is on the upper right hand side of the page, direct bolt in passives, like it says $329.00, DIY and that's all it costs...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts