Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
As handsome as I thought the Mark LT was, I don't think Lincoln will be making this mistake again...anyone remember the Blackwood?

Also, the Mark name should NOT be attached to a truck. Personal luxury coupes only.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
It was a foolish move from the beginning (Blackwwod) thru 2005/06/07 & 08 with the MK LT.
I actually saw MORE Blackwoods around Jersey on the roads in it's 2 years, than I have seen MK LTs in 3 years!

Lincoln needs to redesign the Town Car, and add the Mustang Cobra V-8. They also need to bring the MKz Up to the levels of the CTS, which it isn't (and I own a Town Car & love Lincolns, but do not wear "blinders").
Then, they need a low volume, luxury coupe, a la the Mark 8.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And you know, I, and probably the buying public would probably not have had much of a problem with the LT except for the fact that it had absolutely no gimmick WHATsoever.

Rather than being a trucky version of the Navigator, it really was nothing more than an F150 with a DIFFERENT (not better) interior, some reflectors (!!) tacked on to the rear tailgate, a new grille and different badges. It was completely underwhelming.

You can call these things as trivial as you want, but customers love toys, these are some of the things which the LT was lacking:

*Navigation system: NOT AVAILABLE at launch, possibly ever. (Navigator has a fantastic THX Based Navigation system, available since launch in 2003.)

*Xenon Headlights: NOPE! Not even an option! (Navigator has had this available since 2003).

*Climate controlled driver and front passenger seating: Not here. (A Navigator staple, not even the Escalade had them for a while, but the Navi has since *2002*!)

*Satellite Radio: Look elsewhere!

Rather than stepping up to the plate and letting the truck compete with the EXT on full even ground, Ford half-assed it and only poked their heads out of the shell just enough for buyers they *thought* were not interested in paying for such features... In the end, buyers who don't want a fully loaded car are practically non-existant. The price may have seemed attractive, but this group of truck buyers is NOT stupid. Either they just went and bought a cheper F150, or stepped up for an Escalade EXT. Hopefully Lincoln will not try this experiment a third time.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Sadly they are getting rid of all names, and everything is going to be a Mark something or another.... MKZ, MKX, K etc.....

Then getting rid of the best selling Lincoln anyway.... it dosn't make any sense.

New F-150 is already getting redesgned next year? That wasn't long.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Do you know why I think Ford is so stupid?

Because any company in their right mind wouldn't have a gas cap on a tether that has no rest except against the fender. And they would make an Executive Series Town Car that goes exclusively to Limo Companies with the option of in-dash navigation.

Sandy, let me ask you. Would most elderly people go through learning the navigation system available in the Ultimate? We don't even have the option. So I'm spending almost $3G to have one installed in my new Town Car.

So, I'm in the Lincoln showroom today waiting for the fleet salesman. I look more closely at the the MkZ and MkX. I like the look but when I start fondling the interior panels, they creak like loose plastic. Actually, not like. They may be bolted together well, but they are cheap.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The MKz was a diplorable replacement for the LS. All the LS needed was a little spice, and instead they just axed the mofo. Idiots.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
For all intents and purposes the Mark LT was the King Ranch, same options, same price point, just a different grille, so to say one was better than the other is a rather moot point.

I just don't know what to think about FoMoCo anymore. It's not as if there isn't any talent in the corporation. Just take a look at Ford Europe. A prime example is the new Kuga they've just showcased, it's a great little crossover, stylish, good looking, adequate engine options, a really nice overall package. Then there's the current Mondeo, fantastic car. And what do we get here in NA, a rebadged 500 and the Edge.. not gonna cut it. It's almost as if Ford has all but given up on the North American market, because I sure as hell have no idea who they are catering to these days.

I've said a long time ago that the Ford division needs to stop making cars all together, just trucks, as it's the only thing they're really any good at. Leave the cars to Mercury, give them an actual purpose in life. Don't use their NA design teams for Mercury either, bring over their entire European lineup and rebadge them as Mercurys. Then, put some actual money into Lincoln and make them what they are actually supposed to be, a true rival to Cadillac. None of this V6 crap either - big, bold, rear drive, V8 passenger cars. The kind that inspire an inherent, wanton lust when thought of, let alone seen.

When they can barely keep the customers they have, how then could they possibly expect to attract new ones.

Anyway... what were we talking about? Oh yeah, the Mark LT... it only goes to show how big an idiot ol' Billy Ford really was.

·
Registered
04 ctsV platinum,maggied,rt cats,headers,corsa,stealth tune
4,750 Posts
Since i'm in a Lincoln expert thread,I just got back from the Ford dealer and test drove a MKZ.I liked it,didn't love it.Couldn't get together on the numbers ,we'll see what they come back with tomorrow.I have beat my head again'st the wall for a month trying to decide what to buy for a second car.I would consider another caddy but the G won't have it,one caddy's enough.Real tough time to buy a car with our criteria,no rice!no Buicks,no Pontiacs,nothing Chrysler,BMW maybe but needs to be 5 series.And money,we're looking to spend around 32,000 bucks.Not alot of choices left.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For all intents and purposes the Mark LT was the King Ranch, same options, same price point, just a different grille, so to say one was better than the other is a rather moot point.
Not quite. The King Ranch was COMPLETELY different and targeted a very loyal audience. The leather in the King Ranch trucks was a unique hide that is only available in those trucks with unique contrasting stitching, the ENTIRE interior treatment follows this theme (even the steering wheel rim is adorned with this unique leather treatment). It was designed to be just about as butch as an F150 could get. The exterior had different wheels, and different badging. The King ranch, like any Ford truck HAS options such as a Navigation system available, and lastly, with rebates the King Ranch could be had cheaper than the LT, as with any Ford product, or at least comparably priced but with more options. The LT was a smattering of cheap interior materials TRYING to look like a high end grand piano or... a penguin, or something.

The Mark LT was purely an experiment in stupidity, but it was not the same truck, by *any* stretch. Id much prefer a King Ranch F150 or F250, and that's rare for me because I respect a luxury badge, even Lincoln.

Even still, if you didn't want the King Ranch, Ford had the edge over Lincoln with the other step-up model, the Harley Davidson F150. The HD F150 was the most powerful F150 available with the most unique interior treatment. All of this made for an extremely weak argument on the part of the Mark LT. Indeed, Bill Ford has ended up proving to be nearly as useless as Jacques Nasser who preceded him.

Something you said really picqued my interest though...

Your idea of bringing the european Ford lineup over here under the Mercury badge... this intrigues me... alot. In any other circumstance I want Mercury axed, but if it could be used as a showcase for their european offerings stateside, it would actually serve a purpose.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since i'm in a Lincoln expert thread,I just got back from the Ford dealer and test drove a MKZ.I liked it,didn't love it.Couldn't get together on the numbers ,we'll see what they come back with tomorrow.I have beat my head again'st the wall for a month trying to decide what to buy for a second car.I would consider another caddy but the G won't have it,one caddy's enough.Real tough time to buy a car with our criteria,no rice!no Buicks,no Pontiacs,nothing Chrysler,BMW maybe but needs to be 5 series.And money,we're looking to spend around 32,000 bucks.Not alot of choices left.
Why does the BMW option *have* to be a 5? The 5 is not THAT much bigger than the 3 and you can get a pretty nicely equipped 328i for 32000.00. Hell the top of the line 335 twin turbo is 42-something. Due to all the size complaints the 3 series has grown since the E46, and the 5 hasnt changed since 2004.

Is used out of the question? My Gosh 32k will buy the world in a used car, even a 2006 or 07 used something or other. In fact, I think some Lincoln dealers still have leftover 06-07 LS V8's on their lot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts