Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once in a while, I get a "TAKE STERING" message on my 2017 XT5.

I am not sure what it means, owner's manual is vague.

Has anyone else gotten this message and know what the cause is?

Thanks

·
Registered
CT6 Platinum White Tri-coat with Super Cruise
645 Posts
You were wandering off lane. This warning (at least for me) is accompanied by a tug in the steering wheel back into the lane. Part of the lane departure warning.

·
Registered
XT4 RED SPORT
2,387 Posts
If you release control of your steering wheel or hold the steering wheel loosely and allow your LKA to continue correcting you by keeping you inside your driving lane, it will eventually prompt you to "Take Steering" or control of your steering wheel along with the audible warning chimes. It will usually warn you after the 3rd auto-correction to remind you that you are NOT driving an autonomous vehicle. ;)

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
Once in a while, I get a "TAKE STERING" message on my 2017 XT5.

I am not sure what it means, owner's manual is vague.

Has anyone else gotten this message and know what the cause is?

Thanks
the Captain Obvious answer to the question of cause is YOU... more specifically that you are bad at driving and the car is pointing this out :stirpot:

all kidding aside....Lizbill & Marc NY speak the truth

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury - Dark Granite Metallic/Jet black
45 Posts
I have started getting this warning a lot lately. I get it on the same stretch of road that is long and straight. I have noticed it's only when I am driving with one hand holding the bottom of the steering wheel versus one hand on the top. I guess the car can't tell I am holding the steering wheel anymore when it's just resting on the bottom. It's a little frustrating because it startles me. It's such a long road you tend to get relaxed and you're just listening to your music and the next minute chimes are going off. I suppose the car is just doing its job though.
*Side note, the lane departure warning does not kick in prior to this. I think it just can't tell if I have control of the steering wheel after being on a straight road so long.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I have started getting this warning a lot lately. I get it on the same stretch of road that is long and straight. I have noticed it's only when I am driving with one hand holding the bottom of the steering wheel versus one hand on the top. I guess the car can't tell I am holding the steering wheel anymore when it's just resting on the bottom. It's a little frustrating because it startles me. It's such a long road you tend to get relaxed and you're just listening to your music and the next minute chimes are going off. I suppose the car is just doing its job though.
*Side note, the lane departure warning does not kick in prior to this. I think it just can't tell if I have control of the steering wheel after being on a straight road so long.
9 & 3 cures this :stirpot:

since you're in San Diego too and 34, I now have to start worrying about millennials driving XT5's with their hands in their lap :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
9 & 3 cures this

since you're in San Diego too and 34, I now have to start worrying about millennials driving XT5's with their hands in their lap
You mean the car doesn't have auto pilot?!

Don't worry, I moved from Carlsbad to Poway about 8 years ago. Unless you're driving down Poway Road with me at 645am going to work, you'll be safe.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

Don't worry, I moved from Carlsbad to Poway about 8 years ago. Unless you're driving down Poway Road with me at 645am going to work, you'll be safe.
haha....funny, I went the other way moving from Carmel Mountain Ranch to Carlsbad....you're right about Poway Road...especially during rush hour...in fact that was one reason we crossed Poway off our consideration list for homes (HOT climate was another) despite Poway being a nice place and having one of the best school districts in the region

in fact whenever a car dealer struggles/gets sold/closes over there my boss blames Poway Road usually saying something like "the unfortunate thing for dealers over there is, no one wants to make the additional 15 plus minute drive after turning right(or left) off the 15 freeway, just to kick tires"

·
Registered
45 Posts

haha....funny, I went the other way moving from Carmel Mountain Ranch to Carlsbad....you're right about Poway Road...especially during rush hour...in fact that was one reason we crossed Poway off our consideration list for homes (HOT climate was another) despite Poway being a nice place and having one of the best school districts in the region

in fact whenever a car dealer struggles/gets sold/closes over there my boss blames Poway Road usually saying something like "the unfortunate thing for dealers over there is, no one wants to make the additional 15 plus minute drive after turning right(or left) off the 15 freeway, just to kick tires"
You guys picked a great city. It was very hard to leave Carlsbad, I was renting an apartment next to the Army Navy Academy, but when I met my husband he already owned a home in Poway so I moved in with him eventually. It's grown on me over the years though. You aren't kidding, it's far from the freeway (and everything). I don't know how all the dealerships survive.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V. 2017 XT5
55 Posts
You guys picked a great city. It was very hard to leave Carlsbad, I was renting an apartment next to the Army Navy Academy, but when I met my husband he already owned a home in Poway so I moved in with him eventually. It's grown on me over the years though. You aren't kidding, it's far from the freeway (and everything). I don't know how all the dealerships survive.
Totally off topic, but I moved from San Marcos, to Florida. I have 2 Cadillacs, so all is good

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Totally off topic, but I moved from San Marcos, to Florida. I have 2 Cadillacs, so all is good
congrats on the Cadillacs....i worry for you about Florida, though...the folks over there are crazy:stirpot:

all kidding aside .... my parents just moved from Escondido to Jacksonville...so they followed you

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX4 3.6
270 Posts
Drivingin2011, by "documented" are you indicating some drivers are having a problem with the "take steering" message even when not coming close to lane markers?

The reason I ask is my Dad gets the message every few weeks on his XT5 and we and the dealership have been unable to give him any guidance on why it happens randomly.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,465 Posts
Read the previous posts in this thread and you will understand what is happening. Basically, the steering system monitors your input to the steering wheel and if it does not sense any effort applied to the wheel for a period of time, it will warn you to get a better grip on the wheel.

The previous posts by @Marc NY, @Lizbill , @pissedoffwookiee and a few others are very good. There is nothing wrong with your dad's XT5 and to call this a problem is inaccurate.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
811 Posts
I get this warning at least once every 100 miles I drive the XT5. I believe it is a defect. I drive with both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and I don;t let the car steer itself (as much as it may try!). Personally, I hate these nanny systems.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
569 Posts
I get this warning at least once every 100 miles I drive the XT5. I believe it is a defect. I drive with both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and I don;t let the car steer itself (as much as it may try!). Personally, I hate these nanny systems.
Maybe it’s because 10 and 2 are no longer the place for your hands. It’s 8 and 4 as 10 and 2 if the steering bags go off it will drive your hands into the roof breaking numerous bones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don;t let the car steer itself (as much as it may try!). Personally, I hate these nanny systems.
Why not just turn Lane Keep Assist and the other systems off if you don't like them? Personally, I cannot wait until I can get a Caddy with SuperCruise.

·
Registered
2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,465 Posts
Fighting the Lane Keep Assist is the reason you get the warning to take steering. It is not a defect, it is reacting as designed. Do yourself a favor an turn the Lane Keep Assist off as @tri caddy suggests.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
811 Posts
Yeah, I usually shut off LKA, but somehow it keep turning itself back on. Maybe my wife turns it back on accidentally. i know she doesn't do it on purpose as she does not like LKA either. I really believe our car is defective. I can't imagine all XT5 drivers are experiencing the same things I am and not lining up at the service department demanding it be fixed. i would do this myself, but the shop would have to be willing to drive the car for a while to understand what it's doing, and I know they won't do that.

The lease it up in October, so it's not worth worrying about at this point. Since this is my wife's car, and she'll then be about a year away fro retiring, we'll likely just look for something used to buy. That doesn't have all these crazy nanny systems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts