Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so driving home from work yesterday, a large section of my tailpipe broke off. The car is a 1985 Fleetwood RWD 2DR. The section of tailpipe that broke off is about 2 to 2.5 feet long. It's been raining for days, so I can't get under to car to inspect how much length is left from the muffler. Should I be worried about the exhaust being so close to the gas tank now? Not familiar with where the muffler exactly is. But like I said, the section that broke off is a good 2.5 feet long. I don't wanna be driving and have the car blow up or anything.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
It's souns like your pipe broke off from the neck of the muffler. I don't
think you have to worry about the exhaust near your fuel tank. More than likely you will need the muffler and the tail pipe, but it won't pay. You might as well change the intermediate pipe that connects to the cat as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same darn thing happened to my stepson's 83 Sedan Deville a couple weeks ago. It never seemed to bother it. I don't think its dangerous.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The muffler is right in front of the rearend housing. Coming out of the muffler, the exhaust pipe jumps over that housing and into a resonator which dumps the exhaust out the back. A lot of folks replaced the resonator with a straight piece of pipe to the rear when the resonator gave up. I bet that straight pipe to the rear is what left your car. Problem is, if this happened, it dumps the exhaust out right beside the gas tank. At least take a lot under and see. A quick fix would be to get a turndown and stick it on.

Good luck with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts