Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time for my Seville to develop another issue since it's been awhile since I've had any. This time it's not too terrible, but annoying nonetheless. On the passenger side of my car the taillight has some slight condensation it in, but that's not even the worst part. It turns out the backup lights are collecting water and the lights right next to the license plate frame (right hand side) have about an half an inch of water in them. If you shake the trunk lid some of it comes out. I'm guessing these need to be resealed? The 3rd LED light and the drivers side taillight is perfectly fine.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
It's about time for my Seville to develop another issue since it's been awhile since I've had any. This time it's not too terrible, but annoying nonetheless. On the passenger side of my car the taillight has some slight condensation it in, but that's not even the worst part. It turns out the backup lights are collecting water and the lights right next to the license plate frame (right hand side) have about an half an inch of water in them. If you shake the trunk lid some of it comes out. I'm guessing these need to be resealed? The 3rd LED light and the drivers side taillight is perfectly fine.

Thanks for the help!
Join the club,this is a very common problem,my 97 is the same,I drilled some holes in mine and it seemed to have helped but did not solve it completely.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think this was nearly as big of an issue on the 5th Gen Seville's as it was on the '92-'97's. Mine is past of the point of condensation, it's just collecting water like crazy. I haven't seen another 5th Gen Seville do it like this before.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
Remove the trunk lid/interior fabric liner and remove the entire center light/license plate section. Clean everything and dry the light assemblies by blowing (sucking) vacuum cleaner air through the light socket holes. Takes a while. Replace all the bulbs at the same time and reseal all the mounting studs with non-hardening body sealer (monkey shit). Do the same for the outer light assemblies. Don't drill holes in the lens. That's the worst possible way to fudge the problem.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Remove the trunk lid/interior fabric liner and remove the entire center light/license plate section. Clean everything and dry the light assemblies by blowing (sucking) vacuum cleaner air through the light socket holes. Takes a while. Replace all the bulbs at the same time and reseal all the mounting studs with non-hardening body sealer (monkey shit). Do the same for the outer light assemblies. Don't drill holes in the lens. That's the worst possible way to fudge the problem.
So I was given wrong advice before, to drill them. Is the problem condensation or actual leakage?,even if it is condensation, water would still have to get in there some how. 97 sts.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the problems with the earlier STS's was just pure condensation. My STS is actually taking on water somewhere, my guess through one of the gaskets in the assembly somewhere. No worries though, I'm going to fix it very soon. I did read the solution to the '92-'97 problem was to drill holes though.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
Assuming the lens and reflector seal is intact, water would have to enter the assembly through the bulb socket seal. The stud seal is to prevent water from entering the trunk proper. If the assembly seal is cracked or split, the only way to work around the problem is to drill the lower edge with a .020" hole or two, or to fix it, replace the entire assembly.

My first post assumed that the bulb seals were the culprit.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Assuming the lens and reflector seal is intact, water would have to enter the assembly through the bulb socket seal. The stud seal is to prevent water from entering the trunk proper. If the assembly seal is cracked or split, the only way to work around the problem is to drill the lower edge with a .020" hole or two, or to fix it, replace the entire assembly.

My first post assumed that the bulb seals were the culprit.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It turns out the lense had a pretty bad crack in it where the water was coming through. They drilled two holes on the underside of it so the water doesn't become trapped up inside it. One day I'll break down and buy a new panel but for the meantime I'm a happy camper.

I also attempted to fix my dash pad today and let me tell you that was one hellish job. It looks better but still has the warped areas; I didn't let it sit long enough so I'll go back over it when I know I don't need the car for a few days. I'm so looking forward to that...

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
It turns out the lense had a pretty bad crack in it where the water was coming through. They drilled two holes on the underside of it so the water doesn't become trapped up inside it. One day I'll break down and buy a new panel but for the meantime I'm a happy camper.

I also attempted to fix my dash pad today and let me tell you that was one hellish job. It looks better but still has the warped areas; I didn't let it sit long enough so I'll go back over it when I know I don't need the car for a few days. I'm so looking forward to that...
What would you guess makes it warp?, is it in the sun a lot?.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most likely the sun has something to do with it. All of the 5th Gen Seville's do it. According to the date on the pad it had been replaced before about 4 years ago. I'm not going to worry about it for now. It's a 9 year old car.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Most likely the sun has something to do with it. All of the 5th Gen Seville's do it. According to the date on the pad it had been replaced before about 4 years ago. I'm not going to worry about it for now. It's a 9 year old car.
I bought my 92 eldo. last sept.,it's a one owner that was garaged stored
all it's life,the dash and leather are in great shape,the front seats need some "poofing up" due to normal use( a little saggy on the edges) but I guess the sun can be bad news.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts