Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you handle tailgaitors?

I used to hit my brakes real fast and scare the pee out of 'em. But sometimes, that also induced road rage. I'm too old for that crap now.

My newest trick is to take my foot off the gas pedal for a few seconds, right when he slows down I get right back on the gas and resume cruising speed. So far, no road rage as they don't realize what I've done.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
AKPsiMC03 said:
if you are going above the speed LIMIT slow down to at or below the speed limit. thats always fun. then if they try to pass you, punch it and dont let them.
LOL, me and my friend were messing around one time (in my car, I was driving) I was doing like 35 in a 55, there was nonone on the road but some kid and his friend in a Civc, they were behind me, musta thought an old person was driving this Caddy.... they got the dotted lines, go to pass me, I wait until they are alittle more then past me, then floor it, I was doing like 30, so she dropped into 1st, and pulled them soo bad, 45 upshift into 2nd and I walked (ran) right by, so they get back in the lane......then I went 30mph again...

....good times, good times.

·
Registered
383 Posts
if someone tailgates me , i'm going to be a bitch. I am really bad. I will brake check make thier driving experience really frrustrating and cause hell. If they do pass me ( ok , this sounds really bad) but I will follow them for a good 20 minutes or till thier destination if I have nothing else better to do .... lol.... One of these days , I 'm going to get shot.:histeric:

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White
226 Posts
If everyone would use the passing lane for what it was intended for, PASSING, tailgating and the rage behind it would not be a big issue. People rarely tailgate me, because I am usually driving with a purpose in life, to get to where I am going - reasonably within safe limits, although above posted limits. It seems like all of the states I've lived in - Texas, Illinois, Michigan and chaos, the inexperienced drivers tend to gravitate into the passing lane AND STAY THERE - NOT PASSING ANYONE.

Those, who feel they are "cute" for purposely hanging in the passing lane, are, simply inexperienced drivers, who need additional training and road time behind the wheel. Since the states give a drivers license to practically anyone nowadays, with minimal classroom and practical training, it is of no surprise.

The "rules of the road" and curtesy are quite simple to understand.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in the passing lane last night passing people. I was behind a slower vehicle who was also passing people. The person behind me chose to tailgate me. I chose to slow down until they were at a safe distance. :D

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
If i am going above the speed limit i slow down a little to the speed limit and reset the cruise. If i am doing the speed limit i will just pull over and let them pass me. I am NEVER in a hurry anymore. I just don't let people get to me. If you want to be a real dick you can write down his plate number and call it in. that is always a good time

·
Registered
253 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
If i am going above the speed limit i slow down a little to the speed limit and reset the cruise. If i am doing the speed limit i will just pull over and let them pass me. I am NEVER in a hurry anymore. I just don't let people get to me. If you want to be a real dick you can write down his plate number and call it in. that is always a good time
Screw the cops, I solve my own problems. If I'm in the fast/passing lane, I'm usually the fastest SOB driving, so I don't have that problem. But if someone in the fast lane starts to tailgate me, I suppose my reaction depends on my mood. Generally if it's clear in front of me, I'll just let the guy (or girl) hear and experience the power of the N* by abruptly walking away. They are generally much more respectful by the time I let them catch up. I believe in autobahn rules. That is: if you are in the fast lane and someone in front of you is driving slower than you, you politely flash them with your brights. At this point, half of them know to change lanes and let you pass... and if someone flashes me, I'm more than happy to change lanes for them. If they ignore you, you cut them off the first chance you get, then take your foot off the accelerator until they get pissed enough to try to pass. Then you accelerate so they can't. And if they try to talk shizzle, I just ask them if they want to pull over to talk about it. As far as road rage goes, people seem to back down really fast when they see how willing you are to get out of your car to "talk" to them :sneaky: . Just be sure you're the first one to get out of the car. Obviously, this tends to work better for men rather than women... but sometimes, women can be just as intimidating. I'm married. I know. :p

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I got a mod for my vette that flashes the LED center brakelight for an adjustable number of times, speed, and duration whenever I hit the brake pedal. Does anyone know if there's anything like this available for Caddys?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
If I'm getting tailgated in a 1-2 lane road I'll slow down and if it's 2 lanes I take them both up. If it's 3 lanes, and it's open, they can pass if they want. If it's 3 lanes and I'm in the 75 DeVille I can take up all 3 lanes almost lol... If they're really being an ass, I'll scare them - not hard to do in these cars.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Just slow down a little, that annoys them. However, the problem with this is then they go closer to me and then I get the road rage!! I used to hit the brakes, but I don't anymore because they could run into you. I was driving my parents one time with my previous car, some dink right up to my bumper, my dad had a fit when he saw how angry and red my face became, he got mad at me and said "don't let things like that bother you." It would have bothered me if I had to get the car fixed!

Even if you hit the brakes to teach them a lesson, and they are in the wrong, if you let them by, they always give you the dirty look as they pass, so basically they will never learn because they think they did nothing wrong!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
The method I use has proven itself effective..... I flip on my flashers, wait for them to get away, and then when they go away, turn them off..... Works really good!!! If they refuse, then I simply flash my brakes..... I dont do stupid stuff like some other things......

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
For the time being, my car stinks so bad from the carb being too rich no one wants to tailgate me. I'm in no rush to go out in the cold and argue with it either, so it stays like that for now.

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I was just riding in my friends car and someone was tailgaiting us so my friend pulled over, they passed, and my friend tailgated them worse. This is in the $88 Corsica my friend has, and it already has front end damage so he doesn't have a problem doing that. I wouldn't do that in my car though...

·
Registered
90 ALLANTE,2-72 CPE,71 SEDAN,69 SEDAN,2-69 ELDO,68 ELDO
33 Posts
HotRodSaint said:

I used to hit my brakes real fast and scare the pee out of 'em. But sometimes, that also induced road rage. I'm too old for that crap now.

My newest trick is to take my foot off the gas pedal for a few seconds, right when he slows down I get right back on the gas and resume cruising speed. So far, no road rage as they don't realize what I've done.
*******************THAT'S WHAT IS NICE ABOUT THE 92 VAN,,STAY OFFTHE BRAKE LIGHTS- LET UP ON GAS TO GIVE DUMMY A CHANCE TO WAKE UP. NEXT STEP IS EMERGENCY BRAKE. IT ALWAYS LEAVES CRAP ON THE ROAD :nono:

·
Registered
90 ALLANTE,2-72 CPE,71 SEDAN,69 SEDAN,2-69 ELDO,68 ELDO
33 Posts
HotRodSaint said:

********** HEY, I FORGOT-- WHAT KIND OF WHEELS ON THAT 96 CADDY ?

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Tailgaters piss me off like few other drivers can. Because if you're that close up on my ass, there's NO WAY they can stop in time if I have to hit the brakes. Since I'm notorious for speeding... And not mild speeding... I cruise around 90 ish usually. Usually, if someone does ride up my ass, I'll just speed up until they give up trying to catch me. 105-110 is a perfectly acceptable cruising speed for me. The car handles it, tires are solid and speed rated, I'm familiar with it. (Mind, I don't do that speed in areas where it's overly stupid. That's highway cruising.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts