Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st ? my washer pump is not working checked for power and it has power as soon as the key is turned on BUT when you push the washer button it cuts the power like its working backwards anybody seen this before,2nd ? will the 91 fleetwood tailight lens fit a 86 fleetwood i like them better because of the white outline and mine are faded and need replaced anyway any advice will be appreciated as always thanks low caddy :burn:

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Regarding the washer pump, It is possible that the switch just grounds the pump out, while the pump has +12v constantly supplied from something like the wiper circut. I would say a dirty connection is causing this, either on the supply OR switch side. I had a similar problem with my rear cigarette lighters in my '68. They would read 12.6 with a meter, but you could wait the rest of your life for that lighter to pop up. Cell phone chargers would not charge the phone, but the LED would light. I took the car apart only to find out that the current draw of a dirty fuse pellet on the socket itself dropped the voltage enough to make higher power devices not work.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
As far as the lights go they won't drop right in. I tried that. You will have to cut some of the metal out on the inside of the bumper end.
The body of the lens is fatter on the 90-92 lens and the bulbs are set in the lens in a different angle. I wasn't ready for this surprise, so my lenses are still sitting in my trunk for now...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just had to mess with it

the wires i thought brought power to the pump were actually for the low washer fluid the pump is located on the window wiper motor and its built in when you actiate the pump it turns on the wipers and the pump runs on a cam off the wiper motor and only squirts on the up stroke of the wipers i took all the lines off and blew in them making sure nothing was clogged then made my way to taking the pump apart its pretty simple but the little diapram is wore out called caddy they offer a rebuild kit for it for amere 89 bucks so i am back to square one ,THEN i bought areplacement pump its simple to hook up now i am trying to find out what wire is the wire that sends power to the wiper motor to power the pump thanks any ideas three have power when the wipers are on thanks rick

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
Re: i just had to mess with it

low caddy said:
the wires i thought brought power to the pump were actually for the low washer fluid the pump is located on the window wiper motor and its built in when you actiate the pump it turns on the wipers and the pump runs on a cam off the wiper motor and only squirts on the up stroke of the wipers i took all the lines off and blew in them making sure nothing was clogged then made my way to taking the pump apart its pretty simple but the little diapram is wore out called caddy they offer a rebuild kit for it for amere 89 bucks so i am back to square one ,THEN i bought areplacement pump its simple to hook up now i am trying to find out what wire is the wire that sends power to the wiper motor to power the pump thanks any ideas three have power when the wipers are on thanks rick

Listen if you go to your local auto parts store you can get the orignal style pump instead of messing with a universal pump. I know Anco definately makes it, thats the one I used in my caddy. I just needed to know if it had delay or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: i just had to mess with it

FASSTWOOD said:
Listen if you go to your local auto parts store you can get the orignal style pump instead of messing with a universal pump. I know Anco definately makes it, thats the one I used in my caddy. I just needed to know if it had delay or not.
thanks fastwood i will try that

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Those mechanical pumps ALWAYS go bad. I would recommend the Anco replacement, but if you change your mind (or just want to know) its the 2 pin connector on the front cover of the pump (in the middle of the plastic cover that pulls off)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts