Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wonder why people drive 5000lb rigs around with 1 person? sure they can tow a lot and haul stuff but they sure seem to be overkill. we had a dakota 4wd 4dr w/4.7 which was fun but sucked gas. saw new ad for durango. general theme is its a cool ride. yea, 5.7 hemi, awd, 5klbs, 11mpg around town. guess thats cool. the tahoe/denali/lade is the same only more. even more iron and worse mileage.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
As one of whom you speak, my guesses are:

They want to? (me)

They can afford it? (me)

They bought one years ago when gas was cheap, but now are stuck with it and can't unload it? (not me)

They switch off with other vehicles, so it's really not a "daily" driver? (me)

They need what it can do (me), and don't want two vehicles? (not me)

By the time you see them and judge, they've already dropped their brood of children off at school? (not me)

They don't care what nosy people think? (me)

Just off the top of my head...

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Oh, and remember... While you question SUV drivers' choices, there are a bunch of Prius/Yaris/Fit/Smart, or whatever other Clown Car drivers questioning your choice of an old V8 overpowered, over carbon emitting Cadillac.

To them, you should be in a 12 year old Civic or something.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
hueterm hit the nail on the head.

Let me drive whatever i want to drive, unless you want to buy me a car, and pay me to drive it

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
As one of whom you speak, my guesses are:

They want to? (me)

They can afford it? (me)

They bought one years ago when gas was cheap, but now are stuck with it and can't unload it? (not me)

They switch off with other vehicles, so it's really not a "daily" driver? (me)

They need what it can do (me), and don't want two vehicles? (not me)

By the time you see them and judge, they've already dropped their brood of children off at school? (not me)

They don't care what nosy people think? (me)

Just off the top of my head...
Bingo. Dumb thread award goes here.

As for the Durango getting 11mpg, I find that hard to believe, as the Escalade gets 14 around town. This guy's numbers aren't even right.

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Because I CAN. :coffee:

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
'Cause I love it, and I can, and it sounds better than the nothingness of a 4 cylinder or electric.

:D

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
I get about 11, so you guys enjoy...

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
18-21, depending on how I feel like driving.

:)

Recently though, because I need a tuneup quite badly - closer to 12-14.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
hue... try driving around with the LOW FUEL light on, it will make your vehicle lighter and could increase you MPG
LOL, in addition to the possible negative effects on the fuel pump (sucking up the poo at the bottom of the tank), I don't think I'd have the balls to run like that all the time with these GM fuel gauges as twitchy as they are!

I did put my third row seats up for sale though... They waste valuable space AND weigh as much as a damn person.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Perhaps change the question of this thread. I've always wondered, in light of Hue's comment, WHY they "want" to. I mean, I love driving my Dodge around, but it's from a different time, it has it's own set of characteristics that make it unique, all of which are hard to find at this point. Modern trucks and SUV's almost drive and ride like cars, especially Ford variants, IMO. If you didn't sit up higher, you'd never know what you were driving. Is that all it is for truck and SUV drivers? Is it just that seating position? What makes the experience that unique?

A lot of the "I do it 'cause I can" comments on the topic almost seem like the main reason is an ego thing, really. Comments on this topic always end up turning to what other people think (usually Prius drivers are mentioned, this thread is no exception). Is it just a pride thing? I might be misunderstanding that, but that's the first thing that comes to mind with a lot of the commentary here.

Personally, I don't think most people care about what others drive as much as many think they do. And not every Prius driver is a tree hugger either. Rarely do I pay attention to other vehicle types on the road, judging their drivers. Other vehicles on the road, Prius or Escalade, are just another obstacle in my way, not something to gawk at and analyze :/

"I am what I drive" is not a way of life for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Hueterm: NAIL ==> HEAD

My DD truck gets about 12.5 mpg. I drive a big v8 truck with knobby tires because I also use it on a farm, use it to tow a trailer, tow a boat, haul feed/stuff, etc. If I drove a car down the private drive to my farm just once, I would probably have to find a guy with a truck like mine to pull me back out.

In light of recent gas prices though, and because knobby tires for this truck are expensive, I'm thinking I may pick up a small car to drive back and forth to work and to the gym, etc. It would save me mpg, tire wear on the truck, and would probably get the tree huggers like the OP off my back. :peeking:

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Hueterm: NAIL ==> HEAD

My DD truck gets about 12.5 mpg. I drive a big v8 truck with knobby tires because I also use it on a farm, use it to tow a trailer, tow a boat, haul feed/stuff, etc. If I drove a car down the private drive to my farm just once, I would probably have to find a guy with a truck like mine to pull me back out.

In light of recent gas prices though, and because knobby tires for this truck are expensive, I'm thinking I may pick up a small car to drive back and forth to work and to the gym, etc. It would save me mpg, tire wear on the truck, and would probably get the tree huggers like the OP off my back. :peeking:
Er, isn't this the exact opposite of what the OP asks? You use your truck...for work, which makes sense. You are also thinking about picking up a small car for a errand runner/city bummer, which is where the OP (and yourself, apparently) questions the use of a truck.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
Perhaps change the question of this thread. I've always wondered, in light of Hue's comment, WHY they "want" to. I mean, I love driving my Dodge around, but it's from a different time, it has it's own set of characteristics that make it unique, all of which are hard to find at this point. Modern trucks and SUV's almost drive and ride like cars, especially Ford variants, IMO. If you didn't sit up higher, you'd never know what you were driving. Is that all it is for truck and SUV drivers? Is it just that seating position? What makes the experience that unique?

A lot of the "I do it 'cause I can" comments on the topic almost seem like the main reason is an ego thing, really. Comments on this topic always end up turning to what other people think (usually Prius drivers are mentioned, this thread is no exception). Is it just a pride thing? I might be misunderstanding that, but that's the first thing that comes to mind with a lot of the commentary here.

Personally, I don't think most people care about what others drive as much as many think they do. And not every Prius driver is a tree hugger either. Rarely do I pay attention to other vehicle types on the road, judging their drivers. Other vehicles on the road, Prius or Escalade, are just another obstacle in my way, not something to gawk at and analyze :/
I think you may be off a bit. I didnt go out looking for a vehicle that doesnt get great gas mileage so i could say "i drive a gas guzzler because i can afford it!" I bought a car that i like, and didnt take into consideration its fuel consumption properties. The reason I didnt factor economy into my decision is because my like for the car outweighs my dislike for the price of fuel.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
LOL, in addition to the possible negative effects on the fuel pump (sucking up the poo at the bottom of the tank), I don't think I'd have the balls to run like that all the time with these GM fuel gauges as twitchy as they are!

I did put my third row seats up for sale though... They waste valuable space AND weigh as much as a damn person.

Agreed on the fuel level...seriously...

RE the 3rd row...the fact that they're not fold flat is crazy...and they're so close to the rear glass as to be scary...but won't that hurt your resale, as often as you chg vehicles...?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.