Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
I'm sure someone can give a better definition, but here goes ...

T/C works by applying the brakes to the slipping wheel and controlling engine throttle.
A Limited slip diff is (usually) a mechanical system that limits the diffence in rotational speed between the two wheels.

In my experience, LSD helps to improve traction and T/C helps the car to behave better in slippery conditions (but doesn't actually help much with traction).

-GT

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
GT! said:
I'm sure someone can give a better definition, but here goes ...

T/C works by applying the brakes to the slipping wheel and controlling engine throttle.
A Limited slip diff is (usually) a mechanical system that limits the diffence in rotational speed between the two wheels.

In my experience, LSD helps to improve traction and T/C helps the car to behave better in slippery conditions (but doesn't actually help much with traction).

-GT
Good explanation. Traction control also slows you down by pulsing the brakes. Not good for street racing or spirited runs. LSD is great for this type though. It was made available in 2005.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Pretty good and simple explanations above.

Traction control is actually part of your ABS system. Not all cars that have ABS have Traction control but all cars that have traction control have ABS, make sense?
Whenever the ABS computer senses wheel slip it starts up a pump motor for pressure and starts pulsing the brakes on the wheel that is losing traction to slow it down, it also sends a signal to the engine computer to tell it to retard timing and other things to reduce power output to regain traction.

A limited slip differential has one of many mechanisms to control the power output at the rear axle (I don't know of many limited slip front axles, but they may exist). When one axle spins clutches or weights act to transfer the traction to the wheel that is not slipping (basically).
There are lots of different kinds of limited slip systems. Some use weights, some use clutch packs, some add hydraulic or even electrical controls.
GM's old popular clutch setup was called "posi-traction".
Whenever some vehicles have limited slip rears I usually just refer to it as G80, which is a standard RPO code for a limited slip rear.

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts