Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of oil do you use? In the winter, with my other cars I liked to run Mobil 1 syntek 10W30. I have heard that there may be an extra measure of protection with it because it keeps a thin film on cylender walls, etc. at start-up. Also I heard about better mileage, and it will not freeze in extreme temps. Is it true that when you use synthetic oil in a higher-mileage car that it is thinner, and may leak from valve covers, etc.? I think that some new cars like Corvettes and Mercedes Benz come with synthetic off the showroom floor? Do you think it is worth the extra cost?

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
I think you're correct on all accounts, Ralph.

I've been on Mobil 1 since 7000 miles, and I'm at 38,000 now. No problems. I change it about every 4000-5000 miles. My gas mileage improved by 1 MPG, and I recorded every tank of gas for the first 18 months that I owned the car, so it's no joke.

When it warms up, I think the synthetic oil is actually thinner than fossil oil, but it is proven to coat better, last longer, and not break down in extreme heat.

Corvettes have a sticker on the engine somewhere that says ONLY USE MOBIL 1. I don't know what brand Mercedes uses, but they pay all the maintenance on their lease deals, and the car's computer doesn't tell you to change oil but every 8,000 miles. It would be their loss if something went wrong.

I have read extensive accounts that say DO NOT use synthetic on pre-1980 Caddys that haven't been completely re-built. The synthetic oil leaks through the seals almost as soon as you pour it in.

I think it's worth the extra cost if you want to see the car running beyond 150,000 miles. If a boost in mileage was the only benefit, I probably wouldn't do it. Whoever buys this car from me in a few months is going to be getting a cream puff inside and out. I've heard that some people are willing to pay a little more for a vehicle that has been on synthetics. We'll see.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
If you like synthetic, and the engine is a little leaky already, you may go to something a little thicker, like 20w30 or 20w40, and maybe 10w40 in the winter. I think next time I am going to switch to a thicker oil, since my valve covers are a little leaky.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I like the synthetic stuff. I've seen the 10W40 pour out like molassis in our winters, so personally I don't think I would go thicker than 10W30. It's funny Elvis, yesterday I went on the official Mobil 1 web site and they are trying to dispell any myths about synthetics being too thin for older cars. I have noticed a little seeping around the valve covers in our old Pontiac, I didn't think much of it at the time. The Mobil site describes the structure of the oil, and they mention something about "shorter molecules," which translates into "thinner" to me. But I've already bought some for the Caddy, so I will use it in good faith. I think Mobil is starting to make synthetics for older cars now as well. PS today my dad took out his new DTS for the first time since he bought it. (because we have a lot of road salt until the snow melts here) And he said the '91 Fleetwood he sold me rides smoother, hehe, I think he regrets it a little.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Synthetics are good in manual gear boxes and maybe in SOME engines......I wouldn't put it in anything that I own. It's a waste of money I.M.O. and I change oil so frequently that the only real benefit (if you can call it that) longer life is moot! As far as you car lasting beyond 150,000 miles, Mine is at 158,000 now and is as good as new on mineral oil ( 2,000 mile change interval ) since new. I drive this car VERY HARD and always have! I don't pay much attention to gas mileage 'cause I don't care about it. Hey Ralph....If Dad would rather have the '91 than the DTS.....TRADE HIM! The DTS is a great car I.M.O. It handles great for a car its size.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the problem, KC, the DTS handles too good (rough ride) I drove it for a brief time, and it wasn't bad. He would never trade. I had to give him my '91 Grand Marquis in trade towards the Fleetwood, 'cause I ran out of money! I would trade, but he has the attitude that if it is old (despite the 21,000 orig. miles) it is not worth keeping! PS KC, I think a waste of money is changing your oil at only 2 thousand mile intervals. You have warm climate there all year long? You should see the oil in our cold winters after only 2,000 kilometers, it is blacker than my ex's heart at nighttime.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I change the oil in my motorcycles at 1,000 miles! I.M.O. there's no such thing as too clean or too fresh oil! I don't mind spending the money.....And if there was any real benefit from the synthetics, I'd use them! If I ran them I'd still change my oil at the same interval anyway. I waste money on lot's of stuff and am by no means cheap but I see no reason to waste money on something that gives me neither benefit nor pleasure! Life is just too short for that! The DTS handles too good? How can that be? I've never experienced a car that handled too good....

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm not talkin' about scraping the doors when you turn, but I'm just relating how my dad rates a car. ie, if it handles too good=harsh ride. If it is too old=21,000 miles. He is the definition of fussy and immaculate, and everything he has has to be THE BEST. (I have no problem with that) Doesn't owning a Caddy give you "benefit or pleasure?"

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL!! I guess I've come to the conclusion that "you get what you pay for." So I'm hoping that relates to the higher cost of synthetics, and/or cars. For example, people pay a lot more for a luxury car and I hope they get "better" quality than a Cavalier or a Neon, because I think the repairs are a lot more for these cars to begin with. And what I meant on the above post is that if money was no object, I would probably use synthetic all the time.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Owning a Cadillac gives me benefit and pleasure.....That's why I own it. "You get what you pay for" sometimes applies and sometimes doesn't. I say, "Let the buyer beware." I think synthetics fall under the latter phrase to a greater extent than the former.....I think ( Based on a lot of reading on the subject ) that they're mostly hype in practical terms and that in the real world they're of little benefit! My decisions regarding the use of mineral oil over synthetics have little if anything to do with money....I really don't think synthetics are all that good in real world use......And are therefore I.M.O. a waste of money and give the user a false sense of security where it applies to vehicle maintenance.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I could be wrong, but I heard that they tend to keep the engine cleaner than regular oils do (this isnt a problem for a car properly maintained), but for cars like mine that havent had oil changes every 3000 miles maybe synthetic would help clean things out. Maybe just do it like 1/yr or something.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I heard the US military uses synthetic in all their tanks and helecopters, because of the conditions they have to endure in harsh climates, etc. I understand what you guys are saying, but it's just hard to not draw the conclusion synthetics are better.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts
I am required to use synthetic in my car. I would be surprised if the new Northstar doesn't make the same requirement, for prestige value if nothing else.

Synthetics are better much like premium fuel is better. Sometimes the engine is designed with its higher spec in mind and the regular stuff ain't good enough; sometimes environmental or operating conditions demand it; but otherwise on a properly-maintained vehicle it's a waste of money.

.Jinx

·
Registered
1995 SLS 200K miles
372 Posts
Just hit 138k on my 95 SLS. Like KC I change oil at 2k and filter as well. Drive the car hard and it hasn't let me down. I use Valvoline Max Life 20-50 , Hi miles and Southern climate. Synthetics cost too much, and I se no improvement in them at all.

Just my 2 cents
ljk

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Except for climates below zero (like where Ralph is) or above about 300 degrees (like where this guy is :mad: ), synthetics really offer no added benefit. You pay extra for those products because you're funding their exhorbitant marketing departments. We perceive added value because that's what the TV commercials show us. The Corvette uses synthetic oil for a few reasons. One is the lack of space for an oil cooler. It's indeed a performance vehicle, so people are liable to go out and redline it for hours on end, REALLY heating up the oil past a conventional's limit. The only benefit to synthetic here is if you ran it at redline for a coupla hours. Otherwise, conventional would serve just the same. It says "Mobil 1 required" for curb appeal. People love opening the hood and showing other boy racers that sticker. I think it adds about 20 horsepower to the engine -- just like the "K&N Filtercharger Equipped" sticker does. :)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I couldn't have said it better Jason!

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, yea, I don't think I'll use it in the summer because there doesn't seem to be a benefit. But it's a different story in the winter. PS you guys probably think we are in igloos or something, oh contraire, believe me, we get up to 40 which is about 105 F. Our lows are cold down to -40 which is your -40 as well. Thanks for all the coments and keep 'em comming.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
If you're going to change your fossil oil and filter every 2K anyway, doesn't the cost come out about the same?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Elvis said:
If you're going to change your fossil oil and filter every 2K anyway, doesn't the cost come out about the same?
Probably, But as I said in one of my previous posts it's not really the money that is at issue with me. I wouldn't leave any oil in my engines longer than 2,000 miles personally. The issue with me is cleanliness in my engines, I run them HARD and I usually keep them a long time and put high miles on them. I've torn down engines of mine with 200,000 + miles on them and they're so clean, You'd think they were less than a year old! I've been told by lots of guys that my maintenance schedule is overkill. I disagree....But as with many people I disagree with, It's not my car and it's not my problem so their free to do as they please with it!.....Just don't try to sell it to me when you're through with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts