Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Nope. Mileage has nothing to do with oil requirement.

Your engine is designed to run 7.5 quarts of conventional 5W-30.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Re: Synthatic Oil

I think it depends on how often you like to change it. I get the oil in my Buick analyzed and it is still good at 7000 miles. When I start driving my 03 Deville I don't know if I will dare to go longer thn 7k miles or not. If I get the "normal" oil consumption of a qt/1500 miles it may never need to be changed lol.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts

Use whatever 5W-30, you could follow the OLM. It doesn't go off by mileage only, it's quite sophisticated.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,503 Posts

I own a 2002 Deville Northstar 90000 miles should I use synthetic oil
Use whatever type of engine oil floats your boat in the recommended 5W-30 viscosity range. Study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive - especially the parts on the OLM and "Occasional full throttle operation is good ........".

If you maintain the oil level at the GM recommended height on the dipstick you may see less oil consumption. Read this TSB, especially the beginning of Page 3, then absorb the rest. You will also see that GM wants at least 2,000 miles/quart. Some Northstars get less than that, some get a LOT more, and most are about 3,000 or so.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/198220-northstar-ring-cleaning-procedure-proper-oil.html

Proper oil level for a later Northstar:

<==== ADD XXXXXXXXXX <-- OPERATING RANGE =============oo======================O

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts

There is a lot of fuss made about oil brands and types. Someone who is better versed in this can tell you more, but generally there is a rating on the oil, and a rating of the type of oil your car is supposed to use. You're always okay if you stay within those ratings and viscosity.

There is also a lot of confusion about synthetic oil. Though some are "sourced from natural gas" in a process that I'm not even trying to understand, the synthetic oils that have been on the market for years are still based in mineral oils just like conventional oil, but they have certain additives and have been "Frankensteined" to a point where they behave much more predictably and wear significantly more slowly (though they still wear, as in the additives break down. Now, I'm no scientist - I could have some details wrong here - but this is just an amalgamation of the hours and hours worth of oil info I've spent so many free hours researching.

At the end of the day, everybody who has posted so far, they are all right on the money. Use what you feel comfortable with. Some folks prefer a synthetic blend, regular dino oil, or pure synthetic. If you don't change your oil as often as you should, or do a lot of "hard" driving, I might recommend synthetic. If you change your oil every 3000 - 5000 miles, I'd save your money for something else.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Changing it every 3,000 is a total waste, been that way for decades. Engine and oil technology has come a long way since the middle of last century.

These engines are specs for conventional. And with conventional, can easily go 8-10K miles between changes. Follow the OLM. If your driving habits are relatively gentle and consist of mostly long highway trips, you may just hit GMs maximum interval of 12 months/12K miles, before the OLM reaches 0%.

·
Registered
81 supporter
459 Posts
use synthetic in my 03 and i change it when the olm gets around 50% just my preference
i use synthetic in all of my vehicles, power equipment motorcycles and so on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts