Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone point me to a switched fuse in our fuse box (2012). I found a great front camera solution that uses a wifi camera and you iPhone or android. The pre existing fuse I tapped into is on all the time. Rear View Safety WiFi Backup Camera System RVS-020813 (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PB8KQZU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_I0obvb1DWN5D2

·
Registered
'13 CTS-V wagon WD graphite 6 MT Corsa Sports CAI
183 Posts
The accessory power outlets (cigar lighter socket) are activated by the ignition switch through a relay. Find the I/P APO 20 amp fuse for the instrument panel socket on the lower right of the under hood fuse block. If you prefer, tap into the console
power outlet at the fuse block in the trunk - the 20 amp fuse in the center of the bottom row.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vagondr said:
The accessory power outlets (cigar lighter socket) are activated by the ignition switch through a relay. Find the I/P APO 20 amp fuse for the instrument panel socket on the lower right of the under hood fuse block. If you prefer, tap into the console power outlet at the fuse block in the trunk - the 20 amp fuse in the center of the bottom row.
Thanks. The yellow ones?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks like you tapped into the shift control module 10A fuse. I would rather chose the green 20A fuse, last in the bottom row opposite your index finger in the photo. This is the accessory fuse for the instrument panel outlet. It's not a heavily active circuit and is switched on with the ignition switch through a relay.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vagondr said:
Looks like you tapped into the shift control module 10A fuse. I would rather chose the green 20A fuse, last in the bottom row opposite your index finger in the photo. This is the accessory fuse for the instrument panel outlet. It's not a heavily active circuit and is switched on with the ignition switch through a relay.
The empty slot? Use the same fuse?

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's not empty. It has a 20A green fuse in the slot. Use the same tap as you did in the photo but with the larger fuse.

----------

Just pull the fuse and try the instrument outlet with the ignition on to prove it's the one you want. Then tap into it as you did the previous location.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man! Appreciate the advice.

I just updated my first post with pics.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I think I just screwed something up. After doing this, my car got the service traction control light and started and idled rough.

I took everything off and replaced all the original fuses and the check engine light still on.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I guess tapping into the ignition coil fuses is not good. Check engine light went out but I haven't driven the car yet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So, how's it driving now? Did you have the ignition off when pulling and replacing fuses? I don't see how merely tapping into the accessory outlet circuit would be problematic. Should be no different than plugging into the outlet. Can't say the same for the original connection you tried.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car runs fine now. No idea why taping in like that caused those issues but I'll just try others. There's a bunch of unused ones. Just a matter of seeing which are switched on and off.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've just done some research on the subject of messing with fuses, as your dilemma confounds me. It appears that many of the computerized circuits develop problems if suddenly powered down whether it be disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses. Even with the ignition off many systems, including the accessory outlets, remain awake for a period of time and then sequentially power down.. Some are activated by just entering the car. Therefore the car should rest for several minutes before removing any of a number of unspecified fuses, to fully power down. This makes your task and what used to be a simple diagnosis, such as parasitic current draw by pulling fuses, very labor intensive in these cars. Personally I believe that the accessory outlet is the appropriate circuit for you to tap, but cars are just a hobby of mine and not my chosen field. This forum has supplied a wealth of accurate information but I'm sure you realize you must proceed at your own risk. You might want to consult a mechanic. Glad to hear you have resolved the driveability issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts