Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah I cant stand my car because of these Swirl marks! Its like the previous owner went through those cheap car washes everyday! Does anyone know something that could help me please I am so close to selling this car because of these swirl marks!! Please Help!

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah I was Def thinking about that! Will that work forsure though? I am very nervous about hiring someone and paying them like 100 and something and it not being cured.. :) Thanks Tommy!

·
Registered
Cadillac
212 Posts
Clay bar it, it will fix it, my car had a ton of them, I paid a kid that details $100 to clay bar my car and it looks brand new, be careful if you do it your self you can ruin your clear coat if you don't know what you are doing.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought clay bar was for like removing like dirt and all that like the contaminents..

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
ya that's what clay bars are usually used for, not so sure about swirl marks. It will probably cost you less for a polish if you clay bar your own car first though, because they will have to remove roadgrime first. i had my car professionally detailed and you see nothing but paint(no swirls) I wouldn't recommend using a buffer yourself unless you know what you are doing. but if you keep on top of waxing after you get your car polished you shouldn't get swirl marks, and if you hand wash with a shammy.
I take it you have a dark colored car.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yah got a Black car and now regret it so much! haha! Ahhh I looked up some local mobile detailers and there charging around 300 for swirl mark treatment. Anyone in Southern California that knows some good mobile detailers? If I could I would sell my ride and purchase a silver with black interior .. I just might haha!

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L - Black/Black
129 Posts
I just detailed my black CTS with Meguiar's products over the 4th of July weekend and I am extreemly happy with the results. Swirls 95% gone and a nice glossy wet look to the paint. See for yourself:

Hood Before

After:

·
Registered
Ex-CTS owner
1,229 Posts
Dude got all thier products and nothing works! haha ! SUCKS AHH!
Doesn't work when you apply SwirlX or Ultimate Compound and such by hand. With the hard Cadillac paint, you have to use a Dual Action Polisher or a Rotary Buffer.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
27 Posts
Turtle wax has a product called "The Black Box". It is a system that uses black tinted waxes and black tinted detailer. Takes about 2-3 hours by hand, but it does a nice job. Retails for $19.99 at Pep Boys. Also, claying your car is easy. Meguires has tons of info on this, but anybody can do it and it's 100% worth it.

·
Registered
NONE - was 2006 CTS. Now 2012 4LT Centennial GS Corvette
388 Posts
It's easy to do yourself but it takes time. The best investment you can make is in a random orbital polisher like a Porter Cable 7424. You can't burn the paint with it and it makes the polishing/compounding job much easier and faster.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS Every Option
516 Posts
Ive done a full Claybar, Polish, and Wax with a buffer and it didnt take many swirls out...took 3 days tho.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Ive done a full Claybar, Polish, and Wax with a buffer and it didnt take many swirls out...took 3 days tho.
Those orbital buffers don't do much, just speeds up what you'd be doing by hand. Wax will only hide swirl marks for a time.
To really get rid of swirl marks you need to polish your paint, with polishing compound. The only real effective way is a rotary buffer, and the compounds have varying degrees of cut. I wouldn't recommend using a rotary unless you know what you are doing. If you plan on diy, read much on the subject and practice on friends beaters and the old ladies car first.
If you pay someone to do it atleast they are responsible for jacking your paint, but if you go to a competent detailer they will do a good job, but it isn't cheap. I'd say 300.00 is about right for a full detail.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just cant find myself spending 300 for a detail when I could spen that on a new spoiler or some new brakes haha. I will prolly end up paying someone.. :( thank you all for the input!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts