Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 CT5 Premium Luxury 3.0 Black
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered Sport/V sway bars for my Premium Luxury to help with the poor handling. I would like to install these myself. Does anyone know if this is relatively easy?
I will also go poly bushings while I'm at it. The dealer wanted to charge over $600 to install.

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,820 Posts
I can't speak to the CT5 in particular. But from what I've seen over the years, seems like rear sway bars are typically pretty easy to get in and out, while the fronts can be a challenge. Obviously, there's a lot more stuff goin' on in the front end with the powertrain, steering, cooling systems, etc etc, so the front sway bar has to wiggle its way through limited space.

Maybe do one of the short-term alldatadiy.com or GMSI (ACDelco TDS, scroll down to "Service Information") subscriptions so you can find the actual service procedures? That should tell you if there's added complexity to either job that would prevent you from doing it yourself. I say "should tell you" rather than "will tell you" because I've had mixed results with the hard-copy FSM for my '05. On a number of occasions I've found that "remove bolts 1, 2, and 3" can't be done without removing other significant interference than the FSM doesn't mention, which can obviously be quite frustrating to discover.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I received the bars on Friday and I cannot believe they were shipped with no packaging so they are all dinged and scratched up.
The front is hollow and the rear is solid.
I am waiting to hear back from the dealer that shipped then to hear what they have to say about it.
I also need to take measurements of the bushings as I definitely want to upgrade to poly while I'm at it.
There is a local repair shop by my work, they will most likely do the install for me. They want me to bring the car by so they can see what all is involved prior.
I'll provide an update.

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,820 Posts
Thanks for the update. Not many people out there choose to do this sort of thing to their new Caddy, so I'm curious to hear your impressions once you get them installed.

Unfortunately, that shipping method seems to be the standard for GM / ACDelco. I've had to return a couple radiators because they were packaged by ACDelco in a box about 50% too big with essentially no packing material - arrived to me in unusable condition. Also got 2nd gen CTS-V 6-piston calipers that were just loose in the box, no packing material. Mind boggling to me that they would routinely ship things that way!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the update. Not many people out there choose to do this sort of thing to their new Caddy, so I'm curious to hear your impressions once you get them installed.

Unfortunately, that shipping method seems to be the standard for GM / ACDelco. I've had to return a couple radiators because they were packaged by ACDelco in a box about 50% too big with essentially no packing material - arrived to me in unusable condition. Also got 2nd gen CTS-V 6-piston calipers that were just loose in the box, no packing material. Mind boggling to me that they would routinely ship things that way!
I know right, and I'm one of those OCD guys who has to have/keep everything as close to new as possible, even if its under the car.
Still no word back from the gmpartsdirect dealer, I know they received my messages. I may just put them on as is but bugs me that the raw metal is exposed in areas that will now eventually rust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts