Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten myself in quite a pickle and need some quick help. I've been upgrading the suspension on my 2010 SRX Lux with FE3 and FE4 components and cannot for the life of me get my old front sway bar out, let alone get the new one in. I've dropped the subframe about 4 inches, got the bar about halfway out but now it's stuck solid and won't budge.

My car has been up on jack stands for over a week while trying to figure this out, and the service guys at the dealers won't even return my calls...of course.

Has anyone successfully performed this swap, and if so, can you please enlighten me? I'd be forever indebted!

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,242 Posts
No replies in the past week, hopefully you've gotten it figured out by now. Got any pics of what you're dealing with?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No replies in the past week, hopefully you've gotten it figured out by now. Got any pics of what you're dealing with?
Thanks for checking in on this. No pics, sorry. I was finally able to remove the FE1 sway by prying down the engine chassis through the driver side wheel well with a fence post and sticking a 2x4 in its place to spread it open a bit more. Old bar came right out, and other than getting tangled up on some passenger side vacuum lines for about an hour, I finally got the FE3 bar in. The next nightmare on this mod was my inability to source the correctly sized bushings. Ordered 4 (four) different sets of 'performance stabilizer bar' bushings and not a single one of them clamped down all the way on the bar. There's still a 1/4" gap despite the brackets being tightened all the way down. Guess I'm going to have to measure the bar and get an Energy Suspension universal poly kit with grease fittings to solve it. Don't even know how it rides yet as it is still stuck on stands awaiting rear-engine chassis insulators after cutting my rotted ones out with a sawsall while I had the engine chassis dropped...only to discover they're discontinued and backordered at every GM dealer and online supplier in North America. Just today I finally located one in Nebraska and one in Ohio which are on their way now. Let you guys know if these larger front and rear bars and link upgrades were remotely worth the headaches they've caused.

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
265 Posts
If you don't know the size of your sway bar take some metric wrenches and slide them over the straight part of the bar until 1 just barely slides over and that will give you the size that you need. Bushings are not all the same some of them sit a half inch or so off the frame and some sit pretty close to it so you need to check that also.

Roy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you kind sir. Don’t have a caliper though. Downloaded and printed a little bar measurement strip from energy’s site and will check it tonight. Thanks for the feedback!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
265 Posts
Just use a wrench to measure it and see which one just barely slides Over the Bar a lot easier that way.

Roy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right. Duh. Thanks! I’ll do it now. What confuses me is that the AC Delco, Moog and OEM GM all delivered the wrong parts. From what I’ve read online and in the service manual there are only two front bushing sizes; the FE1 and larger “performance “ sway bar which is supposed to be the same for the FE2 and FE3 packages. Strange. Checked part numbers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts