Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all those who have installed aftermarket sway bars, hopefully this won't happen to you. I discovered yesterday that the links on the end of my Hotchkis sway bars had popped off the bolt that connects to the sway bar, on both sides (front bar). Anyone have any ideas on if this shouldn't have happened or what? I already ordered two new links, should be here Monday.

The pictures are too big, so if you want to see them, give me your email and I'll send them too you.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Cadiman1983 said:
For all those who have installed aftermarket sway bars, hopefully this won't happen to you. I discovered yesterday that the links on the end of my Hotchkis sway bars had popped off the bolt that connects to the sway bar, on both sides (front bar). Anyone have any ideas on if this shouldn't have happened or what? I already ordered two new links, should be here Monday.

The pictures are too big, so if you want to see them, give me your email and I'll send them too you.
Were you to use Loctite™ when affixing the bolts per instructions? I sent you an e-mail as will reduce the photographs and post them here for you so others can see.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
I think what he is trying to tell you is not that the nuts unscrewed but rather the guts pulled out of the rod ends. It sounds to me like the originals are not strong enough.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i broke one of my end links when putting on the hotchkis sways. But they have been fine since. Just watch out they should start squeeking in a few weeks. DEF take advantage of the grease fittings.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
cadiman1983, there are many grades of rod ends all the way from home handyman pressed sheetmetal to aerospace. In my experience Heim is the best and the rest are varying grades of junk. If you don't get satisfaction from your supplier, look for a dealer for aircraft/aerospace hardware. Have your checkbook ready.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I got the new links, and I can't get the sway bar put back in. Its weird, its almost like the sway bar got bent somehow, although thats got to be near impossible. I'm going to have to break down and take it too a shop and have them look at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts