Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard is it to change the radio cause i want to upgrade to a stock navigation radio and no i am not doing aftermarket unless it is really high priced and i need to know how to tell when the stock cd changer is going to quit mine is making some odd noises lately

i need a range of what some used navigation radios for the lux setup would be

Thanks
i will be looking at my air compressor for my rear shocks tomorrow if i have some time

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
There are two factory navigation radios that are compatible with your truck. The first one is a non-touchscreen model that is basically worthless if you ask me, it has a rounded front appearance and EVERYTHING must be accessed via knobs or buttons, making it extremely slow to navigate on top of the fact that isn't very fast to begin with.

Those look like this:

The second option was introduced in '05 and is a true touchscreen with a completely flat face and fewer primary buttons. This is the one you want if you want to stick with a completely factory setup.

These go for between 3 and 500 bucks on Ebay all the time, just search for Escalade Navigation. There are many part numbers for what is essentially the same radio so I won't bother listing them.

As for swapping them, it takes less than 10 minutes to make the physical swap on your generation of Escalade, but once you have the radio physically installed, you will have to have a GM dealer or someone with a Tech II programmer match the VIN in the radio to the VIN in the BCM of the car, otherwise you will get a Theftlock message and be unable to use it.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info and help

i am wanting to get the touchscreen version what else will i need to do is there a reprograming of anything else besides the radio?

i know it won't take me long to do the swap if i have all the parts needed for the radio to work

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
thanks for the info and help

i am wanting to get the touchscreen version what else will i need to do is there a reprograming of anything else besides the radio?

i know it won't take me long to do the swap if i have all the parts needed for the radio to work
There is ONE thing I forgot. Since you are upgrading from a truck that has no Nav, you will need to procure the Navigation antenna as well for the 2003-2006 Escalade. This will plug into the back of the new navi radio and must be tucked up somewhere inside the dash to receive signals from the GPS Satellites. I'm sure with a little searching here you can find instructions for exactly where the antenna needs to be mounted. I believe I actually saw a cheap 29.95 Nav antenna for Escalades on Ebay as well, that you mount in any inconspicuous location (not an official Delco part).

Once the radio is installed in the dash and turns on, THEN you need to go to a GM dealer to have the Theftlock removed. Obviously, it should go without saying you will need a Navigation map disc too if the radio you buy comes without it (which it usually will).

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help
um is it true that the onstar module needs to be reprogramed for the voice commands to the radio i don't know if i am 100% right but i seen somewhere but it was for a cadillac car but not mine just wondering?

i am converting all of my running lights to led after seeing the link to superbrightleds website on got a set today for my drl's and they work great
will post pics as soon as i can if it don't rainand that ain't a bad price on the gps antenna i have been looking on ebay for a good deal on the radio i seen one but it won't work it a non lux

1 - 6 of 6 Posts