Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone this is my first post. I have a question about my 83 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Would a 350 engine be the easiest, and simplest engine to put in? Really tired of all the problems my ht4100 is causing I just want to end it by putting a new engine.

Pic of bae

ForumRunner_20150123_192913.png

·
Registered
1991 Buick Park Avenue
29 Posts
An Oldsmobile 307 would be the easiest option because it will bolt right up to the existing transmission. As far as I know, you would have to replace the transmission to put in a 350. Nice looking car by the way.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
350 Oldsmobile would be a drop in. 350 Chevy would require the driveshaft shortened 2 or 3 inches. You're looking at about 700-1000 to do the olds swap yourself, and about 1000-1500 to do the Chevy swap yourself. If having someone else do it, tack on another grand or so. Buying a cheap running car or truck with the desired engine in it will save you a bit in not having to buy a lot of the misc you'd need (accessories, mounts, etc) over the counter.
I put a Chevy 350 and new built 200r4 in my caddy. Total cost was just under 5000. 1100 was for the headers and stainless exhaust plus installation, 2000 was for the transmission, if I had kept the fuel injection (really should have), it would have saved me 250 in parts. So in reality, bare bones swap ran me 1700 or so, 800 or which was labor.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,215 Posts
Engine swap is more of a power train swap. Consider the transmission, exhaust system and electrics.

The easiest way is to have a complete donor car.

Back in the 80s the Olds 307 was king for replacements.

I always opted to use an earlier Cadillac engine. I can't think of any GM engine that will not fit.

What are the emissions requirements for your state?

It's hard to bypass newer Chevy powered cars as a donor. The damn things just run great. A 96 Brougham with trailer package would make the best possible retrofit donor.

A lot depends on the skill set of the person doing the work.

This subject lands up like discussing religion. Everyone has some tales of the world's greatest engine. Many of them are good engines by themselves but an engine is only one piece of the puzzle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone I'll be sure to start a thread in the right place in the future.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
It was my understanding that the 4100 used the clamshell frame mounts like the Chevy 350. Don't buy the engine before you verify that. The 200r4 will bolt up to either Chevy or Olds.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone I'll be sure to start a thread in the right place in the future.
I guess I should have given you a better welcome, so WELCOME ABORD!

Your in the right place, the only reason I posted the link is because we just had basically the same thread last week and theres a lot of good info. We all seem to argue about keeping the car original.

One thing all the regulars have in common is passion for these cars, and hope you become a regular poster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts