Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if a nav system from a new(er?) cadillac would be a plug and play, or fairly simple? Would I be able to use all the features, etc. Would it even fit in the stock opening?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but would a newer cluster (2000+) hook up to the 96's harness? I think it'd be pretty cool to have a new'n in an old'n.

Thanks!

- Paul

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i cant realyl answer your question but if u wanted to hook up a new nav...i would recommend the 02 and up DVD nav...the 00-01 nav is pretty shitty and i hate teh controls...u have to press like 3 buttons just to change a radio station and the volume. :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 96 Deville and went as far as to get a newer model (2001) HU to replace the cassette player. Got this one only to be told by the dealer that there's no way it will work. Not so much to do with the harness, just that the BCM isn't compatible and that these radios are model/year specific. I am still not convinced, since I can get this unit to display the time, etc. There MUST be a fix to make it work...

Mikelev :cookoo:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People have told me so many different things it's not even funny. One kid told me that it can't be done because of the harnesses, more specificly, the plug that goes into the back, won't fit. Still though, there has to be a way, right? I would say hard wire it in, but still, you would have to contend with all the features that are different that wouldn't(?) work.
Ah well, if anyone figures it out, please let me know!!

- Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK...and the final verdict here is..."MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!" The Techs over at Delco (n.k.a. Delphi), in connection with the Cadillac tech told me that the newer HU's, though they look the same and even have the identical connectors in the rear, cannot work in the 96 models because they require a special Post Amp that is not present in the car. No...there is no fix, no way to wire it in, in fact nothing that can be done to "make it work." These folks recommend the CD Changer, which was the ONLY option in 96 to listen to CD's in the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
mikelev