Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I've been bitten by the big cube bug. I have a 64 Pontiac LeMans Convt that needs a heart transplant real bad.

The car has a 214 ci "engine" and a close ratio Muncie 4-speed. This should be the same swap as a Chevelle or any other mid 60's mid-size. I have a sbc sitting in the garage, but I really don't want to put it in. I've been burned on the Pontiac sites because I'm not putting a Pontiac engine in a Pontiac car.

Frankly I'm not concerned with the "rules". This car is for fun not for winning a concourse event. Rat Fink sticker on the glove box and a fake bullet hole in one of the dents. Rules are for the other guy.

Which gets me back to the question.

I want to keep the 4-speed. Does anyone know what it would take to mate a 500ci to a Muncie. Automatic is not an option.

This car is being built as if it was an old street fighter. You know, sitting a little high, dual exhaust through glasspacks, 4-speed, 4-barrel, dog dish hubcaps on steel wheels, you get the picture,...old school. I'm not going to be racing it so I won't need the heavy duty parts or performance packages. Bone stock would be alright.

I've been to several sites with no luck. I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been done before.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jim

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Here is a site for you to look at.
There's some info there somewhere about mating a Big Cadillac to a manual tranny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lux hauler said:
Here is a site for you to look at.
There's some info there somewhere about mating a Big Cadillac to a manual tranny.

Ouch!, I was really hoping I could do this without too much machining!

Jim

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
old school said:
Ouch!, I was really hoping I could do this without too much machining!

Jim
Actually, according to that site, machining is not necessary. Just drill the center of the crank and install the bushing.
You'll need a bellhousing and flywheel that'll work with the Caddy too. The flywheel should be a bolt on. I'm not sure about the bell though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lux hauler said:
Actually, according to that site, machining is not necessary. Just drill the center of the crank and install the bushing.
You'll need a bellhousing and flywheel that'll work with the Caddy too. The flywheel should be a bolt on. I'm not sure about the bell though.
OK, say I get brave and take a hand drill to my crank....

What flywheel is a bolt on. A big block GM? or an aftermarket? I have found a site that sells an adapter for the bell so I don't think that would be a problem.

As for motor mounts, are there any bolt-ins, or adapters that you may be aware of? Would it be similar to the mounts on your truck?

Jim

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Maximum Torque Specialties (MTS) has the flywheel that you need. I believe the tooth count for the Caddy is unique therefore other flywheels won't work.
MTS also has different motor mount set-ups....I'm not sure which one you would need though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts