Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,497 Posts
I also belong to a Seville facebook group and I have yet to see anyone swapping out the 4.1L

I suppose the same engine used in the Olds Toronado or Buick Riveria would work. I believe they both used the 5.0L Oldsmobile engine. The engine mounts probably aren't the same. Unknown what electrical changes you would need. Doubtful the 4.1L ECM would work for either of those replacement engines.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,497 Posts
==================
unless you have Jay Leno type money -
another 4100ht
I agree. I see postings on Facebook where people have swapped out the 4.1L for a Fleetwood. OMG I cannot imagine what they have spent which they will never re-coup what they spent. Hey I may like a vehicle a lot but I'd be damn if I would spend that kind of money. I suspect maybe a rebuilt/remanufactured engine might be better than the original if they put in the welds that GM used in '85 to fix one of the major problems and they may have a better head gasket, I looked at the prices of those one day and they aren't too bad. You of course have to remove the old engine and move everything to the new engine like power steering, A/C, valve covers, etc. I have no idea what a shop would charge to do all that.

·
1997 SLS
15 Posts
What about replacing it with an L26 4.9 Liter engine out of a later model?
Mounting should be the same although I am not sure if (or if not) the ECU would be compatible.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,253 Posts
What about replacing it with an L26 4.9 Liter engine out of a later model?
Mounting should be the same although I am not sure if (or if not) the ECU would be compatible.
===============
sure - why not -
THAT should only take a couple hours - a little more if you figure in a coffee break or two -

OR NOT!

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz
1,273 Posts
Ironically the only thing similar between a 4100 as used in the OP’s car and the 4.9 liter is inside. They mount totally differently and are almost nothing alike in terms of accessories/etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts