Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XTS PremLux Crystal White Tricoat
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in my 2018 Lux awd for a new 2019 XTS Prem Lux fwd and already I'm not liking the harsh ride nor noise from the 20in tires. Also the magnetic ride seem harsh compared to standard shock set up. The 2018 was much quieter. The sales person told me 2019 PremLux had extra noise dampening not used in 2018, (I'm not believing it)
So, I was wondering if I could swap stock set of 19in rims and tires for the 20's?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,597 Posts
Yes you can. Go for it. Hopefully it makes a difference for you.

·
Registered
2015 xts Premium fwd 2009 CTS AWD
593 Posts
You can also do what MHT did. He swapped his tires and went with the Goodyear Touring..
Maybe he will chime in here and give some advice.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
946 Posts
I traded in my 2018 Lux awd for a new 2019 XTS Prem Lux fwd and already I'm not liking the harsh ride nor noise from the 20in tires. Also the magnetic ride seem harsh compared to standard shock set up. The 2018 was much quieter. The sales person told me 2019 PremLux had extra noise dampening not used in 2018, (I'm not believing it)
So, I was wondering if I could swap stock set of 19in rims and tires for the 20's?
Any thoughts?
You can definitely do this. The cost if you stay with OEM wheels will be about $2,400. Parts will give you $200 for your wheels. You will also get $2,400 in Cadillac rewards points. If you have any points already you can use these points towards your purchase. Your old center caps and TPMS can be used on the new wheels unless you prefer new.

Depending on the tire you chose you will be looking at $800-$1,200.
I would recommend the Michelin Premier A/S or the Vredestine Quatrac PRO.

I purchased the 20” wheels that come with the Platinum Trim as I prefer the style of those wheels. I went with the Good Year Eagle Touring which IMO gives a much better ride and it appears to be a c better tire than the Bridgestone RE97 A/S.

If you switch to the 19” the ride will be slightly better and you get a better selection of Grand Touring Tires which I would recommend that you stay with.

I still have not taken switching to 19” wheels off the table but for now I am ok with the ride I get on the 20’s with the Good Year Eagle Touring. I do like the handling and performance expects of the 20’s

20” wheels 245-40-20
19” wheels 245-45-19

it is the side wall height the middle number that determines the firmness of ride. If you put a 45 series tire on the 20” wheels your ride would be the same as the 19” but the tires would be to tall and will affect the speedometer.

There is only 1/2” difference between the height of the 45 series on the 19” and the 40 series on your 20” wheels.
I had a tire dealer to tell me that in his opinion that 1/2” difference was not significant to warrant the cost associated with the switch.

you would see a greater difference in ride going with 18” wheels which I would not recommend at all.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can definitely do this. The cost if you stay with OEM wheels will be about $2,400. Parts will give you $200 for your wheels. You will also get $2,400 in Cadillac rewards points. If you have any points already you can use these points towards your purchase. Your old center caps and TPMS can be used on the new wheels unless you prefer new.

Depending on the tire you chose you will be looking at $800-$1,200.
I would recommend the Michelin Premier A/S or the Vredestine Quatrac PRO.

I purchased the 20” wheels that come with the Platinum Trim as I prefer the style of those wheels. I went with the Good Year Eagle Touring which IMO gives a much better ride and it appears to be a c better tire than the Bridgestone RE97 A/S.

If you switch to the 19” the ride will be slightly better and you get a better selection of Grand Touring Tires which I would recommend that you stay with.

I still have not taken switching to 19” wheels off the table but for now I am ok with the ride I get on the 20’s with the Good Year Eagle Touring. I do like the handling and performance expects of the 20’s

20” wheels 245-40-20
19” wheels 245-45-19

it is the side wall height the middle number that determines the firmness of ride. If you put a 45 series tire on the 20” wheels your ride would be the same as the 19” but the tires would be to tall and will affect the speedometer.

There is only 1/2” difference between the height of the 45 series on the 19” and the 40 series on your 20” wheels.
I had a tire dealer to tell me that in his opinion that 1/2” difference was not significant to warrant the cost associated with the switch.

you would see a greater difference in ride going with 18” wheels which I would not recommend at all.
Good Luck!
Thanks MHT for the detailed reply! That's a lot of great info. I'm one that doesn't like to change from stock so I'd agree with you that changing to GY Eagles is where I would start. I had those on my 2018 and liked them.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
946 Posts
Thanks MHT for the detailed reply! That's a lot of great info. I'm one that doesn't like to change from stock so I'd agree with you that changing to GY Eagles is where I would start. I had those on my 2018 and liked them.
I believe Good Year may still offer a 30 day ride satisfaction. If you do go with the Good Year Eagle Touring 245-40-20W please let me know what you think.
Make certain that you do not get the sound and comfort which is used on the Tesla.

·
Registered
2013 XTS4 Platinum '91 Caprice Wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)
615 Posts
This is a repeat, but I picked up a set of takeoff 18" CT6 wheels with Goodyears off ebay. Had to put in compatible tpms sensors. Rides like a dream, still after 18k mi. Wife has the 20's, no mag ride on her Impala. Sure, it handles better, but no comparison in ride comfort. And yes, they will fit. There is no difference in XTS brake sizes, '13-'19.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a repeat, but I picked up a set of takeoff 18" CT6 wheels with Goodyears off ebay. Had to put in compatible tpms sensors. Rides like a dream, still after 18k mi. Wife has the 20's, no mag ride on her Impala. Sure, it handles better, but no comparison in ride comfort. And yes, they will fit. There is no difference in XTS brake sizes, '13-'19.
Thanks rockit, good info. I had 19's on my 2018 and I had the new goodyears all season they rode really nice and no road noise.
I found oem 19in polished wheels on ebay yesterday, I could put goodyears on them and be done.
Did changing wheels mess with the speedometer?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe Good Year may still offer a 30 day ride satisfaction. If you do go with the Good Year Eagle Touring 245-40-20W please let me know what you think.
Make certain that you do not get the sound and comfort which is used on the Tesla.
I had those on my 2018. They are really good tires quiet and good grip. I'm still in the air about it. I was going to ask dealer if they might help out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really wonder what people are considering harsh rides. I ride on 22’s and I haven’t experienced any harshness. Even rode on a 3 hour trip with 4 people and luggage, still didn’t experience any harshness. No bangs or dash shaking, guess it’s an opinion though.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum
338 Posts
I really wonder what people are considering harsh rides. I ride on 22’s and I haven’t experienced any harshness. Even rode on a 3 hour trip with 4 people and luggage, still didn’t experience any harshness. No bangs or dash shaking, guess it’s an opinion though.
There are people looking for an "old school" Cadillac ride that is probably not achievable without downsizing. To each their own.
I don't have any complaints and I'm rollin' on $80 Vercelli Strada IIs. It's got a much better ride than a LaCrosse or Impala on 20's.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks rockit, good info. I had 19's on my 2018 and I had the new goodyears all season they rode really nice and no road noise.
I found oem 19in polished wheels on ebay yesterday, I could put goodyears on them and be done.
Did changing wheels mess with the speedometer?
The tire size for the 19" wheels will be 245-45-19. The over all circumference will be the same as the 20" 245-45-20. There will no notable affect on the speedometer. The MRC and StabiliTrack should not be affected by this change, but please note that Cadillac does not recommend it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
There are people looking for an "old school" Cadillac ride that is probably not achievable without downsizing. To each their own.
I don't have any complaints and I'm rollin' on $80 Vercelli Strada IIs. It's got a much better ride than a LaCrosse or Impala on 20's.
Have you checked out the Vredestine Quatra Pro. Tire Rack rates it at the top for Grand Touring Tires. Their expert test drive review is also very good. I have read other the reviews and they have been just as good. I am strongly considering this tire, but have no real urgency to make the move right now. The switch to the Good Year Eagle Touring from the Bridgestone's Potenza RE97 made a major difference for me.

You are absolutely right about old school. If the truth be known I have really not been all that happy since the 17" wheel. I do like the performance and handling expects of the lower profile tires and do not see the 20" as bad as before I got rid of the Bridgestone's.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Never heard of Vredestein. Apparently an old company that's headquarted in the Netherlands. Sounds like a premium product. In tires, I think you pretty much get what you pay for. There is no way I'm putting cheap tires on my car. Don't need a tire failure at 85mph. But that's just me.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Never heard of Vredestein. Apparently an old company that's headquarted in the Netherlands. Sounds like a premium product. In tires, I think you pretty much get what you pay for. There is no way I'm putting cheap tires on my car. Don't need a tire failure at 85mph. But that's just me.
I agree, that is why I am just waiting and hoping that Michelin will bring out the Premier in my size.

·
Registered
2016 XTS platinum plus
159 Posts
Recently sold my 1969 GTO with G78- 14 tires. Rode like nothing I can remember in the last 30 years. Spongy in the corners though. Even my 1978 Fleetwood rode like a cloud.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah, my '91 Caprice with 15's or even the 17" Impala SS wheels I have on it now, most road imperfections are nearly imperceptible. You may hear the expansion joint in the pavement, but you won't feel it. Just like in the good old days.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Have you checked out the Vredestine Quatra Pro. Tire Rack rates it at the top for Grand Touring Tires. Their expert test drive review is also very good. I have read other the reviews and they have been just as good. I am strongly considering this tire, but have no real urgency to make the move right now. The switch to the Good Year Eagle Touring from the Bridgestone's Potenza RE97 made a major difference for me.

You are absolutely right about old school. If the truth be known I have really not been all that happy since the 17" wheel. I do like the performance and handling expects of the lower profile tires and do not see the 20" as bad as before I got rid of the Bridgestone's.
Thanks MHT, I'm leaning to switch out the Bridgestones for the Goodyears, I have a Goodyear card and they offer good rebates etc. I'll keep you posted if I do. As for ride yep that's what I'm looking for the old school ride and the 2018 AWD with 19in and standard shocks is pretty close! My 1962 Sedan Deville rode like a cloud! Ha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts