Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, could someone please advise me regarding my (UK RHD) STS '99.

My front left suspension sensor has stopped working. Does this mean that the active suspension is also now not working? I don't like the thought of smashing into speed humps, which are all too common over in the UK!

It's £240 for a new sensor from the Cadillac dealership, does anyone know where I would find a cheaper one?

Also, it was suggested to me by a helpful user of this site that the sensor may simply have a dirty contact, even though the dealership says that the sensor has broken. Could anyone advise me on what I'd be looking for under the car?

Many Thanks :)

Dale

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Press and hold the OFF and passenger warmer buttons at the same time untill all of the LED displays light up. It will then start showing you the codes and end with "PCM?". Have a pencil and paper handy to write them down. If you need it to repeat the codes simply press the OFF button once when it reaches "PCM?". To exit diagnostics mode, you can simply turn the key to the off position.

Post the code(s) up here and someone will help you with your problem.

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The code is RSS C1760 'Left Front Position Sensor Input Fault', so I guess the sensor has stopped working. Does this mean that the active suspension on the STS will also have stopped working i.e without the sensor it is unable to alter the height in real time?

Just in case the sensors NOT broken and it's just a dirty plug, could someone tell me what exactly I'd be looking for under the car please.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The code is RSS C1760 'Left Front Position Sensor Input Fault', so I guess the sensor has stopped working. Does this mean that the active suspension on the STS will also have stopped working i.e without the sensor it is unable to alter the height in real time?

Just in case the sensors NOT broken and it's just a dirty plug, could someone tell me what exactly I'd be looking for under the car please.

Thanks
A lot of times that code is just a computer fart. I would first clear it and see if it comes back. If it comes back then there may be something wrong with the ride height sensor. Refer to this page for what it looks like: http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-suspension.pdf

To clear that code, go back into diagnostics mode and this time when it reaches "PCM?" use the passenger cooler button to scroll through the menu. When you find "RSS?" press the passenger warmer button to enter that submenu. Then press the passenger cooler button to scroll through that menu. When you find "RSS CLEAR CODES?" press the passenger warmer button. It should then read "RSS CODES CLEAR" before taking you to the next option in the submenu. When you've finished that you can simply turn the key to the off position to exit diagnostics mode.

Button key

Passenger warmer = yes
Passenger cooler = no
OFF = go back
Reset = exit diagnostics mode

TheGlassMan said:
What are the OFF and passenger warmer buttons?

Do you press all three of the heated passenger seat buttons?

Thanks.
What year is your caddy? The method could be different depending on the year.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The method should be the same as I mentioned above then... And no, you don't press any of the heated seat buttons.

You should be looking at the climate control panel for the air conditioning. Just press and hold the ON/OFF button and the passengerside warmer buttons at the same time for about 5 seconds untill the LED displays light up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts