Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on how to improve the suspension and make ride more comfortable on a 2004 XLR. We have craters, potholes and uneven pavement all over Atlanta and I can feel every crack in the road.
Also, Ga just began enforcing the handsfree law for phones. My radio has no Bluetooth or input jack. How can I hook up a phone to my car. I saw mentioned something called costar, but have no idea what this is and where to purchase the device.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
With a 14-15 year-old car, the suspension is bound to degrade over time, and potholes don't help a bit.

If you haven't replaced your shocks in the last 4-8 years, I recommend it. The car will drive like new-ish. Order from gmpartsdirect.com and pay what the dealer pays for parts.

Also, check the bumper pads under the rear suspension leaf springs. These are notorious for wearing out and will contribute to a harsh ride. Any good Corvette store will stock these.

Consider upgrading to the (thicker) XLR-V rear suspension stabilizer bar. It's cheap, and greatly improves the feel of the back of the car when cornering.

There are numerous aftermarket Bluetooth add-ons to integrate your phone; I installed a Kinivo BTC450 in mine and added an iPod to play through the infotainment system as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ccclark,

i just recently acquired an XLR. I find the postings on this forum most helpful.

Please elaborate on the "bumper pads under the rear suspension leaf springs" you mention. Any additional info would help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The bumper pads are like hard stops for the transverse leaf springs; same as the C6 vette. Drop by any corvette shop and have them inspected along with the springs. A corvette forum will likely have loads of info and pictures.

If you plan to keep you XLR, consider investing in a Tech 2 and a set of shop manuals - especially when owning the most trouble-prone years ('04/'05). Many lessons learned made the '06 on up more reliable, especially where the top is concerned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Took out the Bose in my 05 and installed an alpine 7 inch double din in its place the stereo came with hands free setup (mike to install into the windshield pillar). I lost the steering wheel volume but I gained a better sound and better NAV. now I have hands free and Bluetooth, its a proper setup and upgrades my car to the XLR Standard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts