Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting RSS C0579, question is will I be replacing the strut or could it be something else ?
My car is a 2003 Seville STS with Magnetic Ride Control.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I am getting RSS C0579, question is will I be replacing the strut or could it be something else ?
My car is a 2003 Seville STS with Magnetic Ride Control.
=======================
always include the code DEFINITION along with code -
no one has them all memorized -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
Check the strut electrical connector as well as the body wiring harness to the strut. You may get away with a simple wire repair. The MRC struts/shocks last a lot longer than the CVRSS older types - no internal electrical valves or orifices.

The (old OBD) code definition is misleading - there's no "solenoid" per se - the system works by instantly changing the viscosity of the ferrous internal fluid using an electrical coil wound on the strut/shock - that connector may be loose. The thicker fluid (almost jelly at times) resists flow through internal piston orifices, radically stiffening the suspension instantaneously.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I'm getting a new strut, does it make a difference to replace both the fronts ? The one that isn't throwing a code seems to be fine, but my mechanic wanted to replace both at 900 a piece ? Luckily I have found them for much cheaper and was thinking I can replace just the one.

·
19,270 Posts
Looks like I'm getting a new strut, does it make a difference to replace both the fronts ? The one that isn't throwing a code seems to be fine, but my mechanic wanted to replace both at 900 a piece ? Luckily I have found them for much cheaper and was thinking I can replace just the one.
----------
does it make a difference to replace both the fronts ?
well - if the car was just a couple years old -
with a few thousand miles on it -
I'd go with replacing just the defective one -
however -
there is going to be a difference between a new unit -
and a 12 year old one with ???K miles on it -

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car has 75,000 miles on it, the ride is still flawless the internals have failed on the one strut.

·
19,270 Posts
The car has 75,000 miles on it, the ride is still flawless the internals have failed on the one strut.
======================
it's your call - but I agree with the mechanic -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts