Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Not really. But your ride is def. going to be harder, and your brakes will wear faster. (Due to more rotating mass)

·
Registered
11 Posts
clickart said:
I just wonder if you put 22" or above would you get suspension problems in the future?
Don't do it! Not only will you brakes wear faster, you will need more room for stops. Bigger wheels also throw off your speedometer, which throws off your odometer. I once had a Suburban and I only put 18s on it and regretted every minute of it. Don't ruin a nice caddy the same way, it deserves to be left alone.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Plan on brakes every 15,000 miles, shocks 30K, drive yokes 30k. You gotta pay to play! Plus I drive the crap out of my Escalade.
clickart said:
I just wonder if you put 22" or above would you get suspension problems in the future?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your speedometer will be fine, as long as the overall circumference of the wheel/tire combo is the same as original. I went from 265/70 R17's to 285/50 R20's. Larger wheel + lower profile tire = same overall diameter.

Regarding suspension, the key to this is to make sure the weight of the wheel/tire combination is as close to the weight (or as light), of the original wheels. My 02 escalade factory 17" wheels/tires are about 65lbs. The new 20 Boss 307 wheels with 285/50 tires are about 76lbs. Handleing in better but ride is harsher (by just a bit, not many people notice). So, don't buy fancy expensive huge chrome wheels until you know how much they weigh.

I have not noticed any difference in brake performance. However, I plan on upgrading to Stainless Steel Braded brake lines and new pads. Eventually.

·
Registered
136 Posts
GMike said:
Your speedometer will be fine, as long as the overall circumference of the wheel/tire combo is the same as original. I went from 265/70 R17's to 285/50 R20's. Larger wheel + lower profile tire = same overall diameter.

Regarding suspension, the key to this is to make sure the weight of the wheel/tire combination is as close to the weight (or as light), of the original wheels. My 02 escalade factory 17" wheels/tires are about 65lbs. The new 20 Boss 307 wheels with 285/50 tires are about 76lbs. Handleing in better but ride is harsher (by just a bit, not many people notice). So, don't buy fancy expensive huge chrome wheels until you know how much they weigh.

I have not noticed any difference in brake performance. However, I plan on upgrading to Stainless Steel Braded brake lines and new pads. Eventually.
This is the best advice I've read here, I keep telling everyone I know the same thing.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Cadillac replace my drive yokes @45K and now 95k. They are binding again but I read on another forum that GM has an application specific lube now that I am going to try this week. Everyone I have talked to said to go with Comfort Bilstiens. Those who got the HD's said they rode too rough. I will be doing tose this week also. $54.00 apiece, great deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
skides1