Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends Eldorado has been having some Air Spring issues in the rear. I only know how Ford Air Susp works and I'm unfamiliar with the setup on the ETC. The rear is lower than the front and is severly bouncy on roads (at times there is even lateral movement!). Is this an easy fix? Also how does this suspension work? TIA

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
The air suspensions are similar, in that they use air pressure to regulate the rear level...... I cant go into detail, because I dont know that much about the suspension.....

If the rear is lower, it could either be
1. The sensor is messed up (ie too low, or broken)
2. The compressor is bad (unlikely since the front is ok, but the front could be riding all the way on the bushings too)
3. The strut is bad (most likely)..... You can replace the active strut with a passive strut, for a nominal decrease in ride........ Most have not been able to tell a difference between the active/passive setup.......

If it is really low, it could be bottoming out, and riding on the bushings, and is really bad on all the components......

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Recently in my 97 sls, the rear suspension was really bouncy. It was ticking me off and I brought it to my guy who after diagnosing it, just told me that there was a frayed wire in the back having to do with the rear suspension and I had it repaired and it was labor only. The suspension has been great for the last 2 weeks. Hopefully it is that.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I will second that....... All those electrical components under there, and 6 years of rain, snow, ice, salt, and hot dont do any good on electrical connections.......

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well would there be any warning lights on the dash to indicate a problem? It is strange that I cannot hear the compressor when he first starts the car. In my Town Car it sounds like a snowblower! I'll try to get under his car and do some research.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Not necessarily..... If none of the sensors are out of spec, no MIL would be on.... There could be a bad fuse/relay that is causing the compressor not to come on.....cadillac compressors arent very loud, and it would have to be really quiet to hear them... They sound more like the fuel pump more than anything......

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my friend finally got the problem resolved. Apparantly his compressor was shot and so was the drivers rear air shock. There was also a hose that was rotted as well. Just wanted to follow up on the problem. Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
ltdltc said:
Well my friend finally got the problem resolved. Apparantly his compressor was shot and so was the drivers rear air shock. There was also a hose that was rotted as well. Just wanted to follow up on the problem. Thanks for the help! :)
rotting hoses suck. I had a few hoses rot after this past winter...the snowiest winter in years definitely wasn't that nice to our cars. Lets hope that this one isn't as bad.:bonkers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts