Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not familiar with the suspensions on these cars but I have a knock somewhere in my suspension that feels like the old cars when the tie rod, ball joints, or bushings go bad. What does this car have suspension-wise and what's more likely to go? '97 Catera. Thanks.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the front right side. It's heard/felt especially when going over bumps. My wife has a 2005 mini van and we just had the front bushings replaced and the Catera feels just like the van when going over bumps.

·
Registered
2001 Catera
182 Posts
I have the same problem with my Catera and found out that it is the sway bar link. To check it, get to were you have your hand on the joint of the sway bar link, and have someone bounce the car. If it is bad it will have movement. That is how the mechanic showed me. The sway bar link has two small ball joint ends and cost about $105 each. I have not replaced mine yet, but I did take it lose to see how it looked. Its fairly easy. When I put it back it was quiet for a day but now it is getting even louder.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where can I get that from? Don't think the local major auto stores carry that, if that's what I need..

·
Registered
Catera 98
418 Posts
If you lift the car, and grab hold of the front tire (left or right) and rotate it left to right... do hear the same knocking?

My Cat 98... did that, it was the top plates of the front struts... low speed, bumps and so on... knocked like a damaged tie rod end (which I remembered from last year)...

·
Registered
190 Posts
well alot of people also have had the control arm bushings go bad on them so I would jack it up remove the tire and check all bushings sway bar etc. before I would spend any money. Here is another helpfull sight on catera's where they talk about the control arm bushing problems I think you will find a GM service bulliten there. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CateraOwners/

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a similar problem with a front end rattle. It sounded like a strut. The problem was a stabilizer link. The part runs parallel to the strut in the frame of the strut assembly. Repair was less than $150.

·
Registered
447 Posts
This has been discussed in another similar thread here in this forum. It could be a summary of several reasons why you are hearing that noise. In my case, I had to replace all the bushings of the front lower control arm and then bought a pair of sway bar links and replaced it myself. If i have some sort of hydraulic compressor, i would have done the bushings job, but i looked at the mechanic who did the job, the two of them had a hard time getting them out and putting the new ones back in. Anyway, do some research on how to check for split bushings, they are available at the yahoo site, and the sway bar links, you have to have both the front wheel raised and with bare hands check the links if you can move them. If they move with your hands pushing them, how much more a 4 ton car. Next time, i suggest that you do a search, there's a lot to learn in this forum, and most of the topics that are being asked now have already been discussed in the past. I guess no one's doing some search anymore before posting a question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts