Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Escalade
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought it would never happen again, didn't even think about the previous 2013 Escalade with suspension issues. My current 2014 Escalade rode like a dream. Never felt a bump or expansion joint smooth as silk. One amazing plush ride for the last 19,000 miles. All of a sudden it was full stiff suspension. Now it rides like a hay wagon. No error codes on the DIC. Thought it could be tire balance so I had the tires road force balanced. Not that. Checked the alignment, toe was off a tad. That didn't fix it. Fuses are all good. Frustrating as hell. Rides just like my previous 2013 Escalade with a full stiff suspension and that's why I ended up with the 2014. Cadillac tried just about everything in the book to fix the 2013 but could not get the ride to smooth out.

Just took a car friend for a ride and he could not believe how hard it rode! If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please let me know.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,031 Posts
They all ride like a mac truck. That's why I hate my 2011. It's the 22" wheels. When my snow tires go on, it rides much better.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade Premium AWD
163 Posts
Yeah, my 2012 has 22" wheels, and the ride is very bumpy. No sidewall to soften the ride, We have an RX300 with a massive sidewall (225/70/16), it rides like a dream compared to the Escalade.

I'm trying to get used to it, but I got nothing really to compare the comfort to, besides the RX.

·
Registered
2014 Escalade
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before my Escalade started riding like a hay wagon - it rode for 19,000 miles like it was riding on pillows!! You couldn't feel an expansion joint, crack, bump etc. All my last 8 vehicles have had OEM 22's on them and these last 2 Escalades have had issues with a rock hard suspension.

I'm hoping that when it goes back to the dealer that they do find a hung up strut or shock absorber or something!

12,816 Posts
Hi snidebj,
I am sorry that you are experiencing concerns with the suspension on your 2014 AWD. I understand the inconvenience this can cause and would like to look into this situation on our end. I see you are taking your vehicle back to the dealership, have you scheduled an appointment to have a diagnostic preformed? If you could send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership, we would like to assist you further.

Best,

Alex H.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2011 Escalade
115 Posts
I love when the "Cadillac Customer Care" people jump in on these threads, GM damage control what? I don't honestly believe they give a rats-a$$ about your problems in your Escalade... but that's my negative nancy coming thru, I'm sure. And regarding the OP's concern, I have an '11 with over a 100k miles on, and had same exact issue... just one day, I noticed it rode like a haywagon (good one), no messages on DIC, etc. Took to dealer, $2k later new front struts, she rides like butter again. You definitely have a suspension issue... they'll find it. And for those that don't like the ride of the 22's, or to compare the ride to a Lexus with 16's... really? That's like comparing a juicy summer time watermelon, to a sour little grape... or something. A 16 sidewall would be like driving your mattress down the road.

·
Registered
2012 ESV
3 Posts
I just picked mine up from the dealer because of the same issue- they said front shocks locked up and they replaced them at no charge to me. Rides great now

·
Registered
2014 Escalade
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an appointment to drop it off on Monday and I will give them some of the info that I learned from the forum.

Cadillac customer care in the past have been phenomenal along with the dealership that worked hard on the 2013 with suspension issues. Could not have received any better service.

We will see what type of solution we have on Monday when I get it back.

·
Registered
2014 Escalade
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked up the Escalade from the dealer who was authorized by GM to replace the rear shocks. On the short drive home (3 miles) the ride was much better. We have a 4 hour trip tomorrow so we will determine the ride quality and give an update on the return.

·
Registered
171 Posts
why is not just put after market one from Arnott on front ?
I did and rides on hard side, I like and my wife as well. She hates soft suspension.
You are guys crazy to complain and spending fortune on shocks for front. I can understand for rear, since towing and luggage, so it needs leveling.

·
Registered
2014 Escalade
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's some interesting observations after our road trip today in the Escalade with the new rear OEM magnetic ride control shocks installed before the trip.
Heading out we both noticed that the ride was like we were riding on air. Buttery smooth not feeling a bump, expansion joints, cracks. railroad crossings and no road noise all the way to Lake Placid. Comments were being made that it rode better than new and that was a great ride to begin with. Rode on some of the most bumpy rodes around our area and didn't feel a thing!!!!!!! Now this is the way it's supposed to ride. BUT, as soon I turned the key to come home, IMMEDIATELY, we noticed how hard the suspension was! Yikes! It was only about 50 feet before we both looked at each other to say Oh crap. The ride home was horrendous. Very hard and with road noise. When traveling over cracks or expansion joints the truck would make a very pronounced "da-dump" sound. Railroad tracks we had to slow down for. We even pulled over a couple of times to shut off, pull the key out, open the door and then restart it after a few minutes to see if we could get the smooth ride back. Will let the dealer know the results of our ride with the new shocks. Dealer has been better than great with the issue.

Might be time to let it go and trade for something that doesn't have the magnetic ride control suspension. Will see what the service dept can do for maybe one last try.

Happy days ahead!

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,742 Posts
Please keep us posted. Would be a very interesting case..... at about 48K left front MRC strut was leaking, followed by the right front strut. 20K later, right front is leaking again. I don't really notice a ride difference yet, but maybe I've been missing something all along.... Were any of your struts or shocks showing any signs of leaking? Meaning did you see any or you left it all up to the dealer?

·
Registered
2014 Escalade
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: My 2014 Escalade went BACK to the dealer this past week to further explore any other avenues on how to help alleviate the harsh/hard ride. A relay was replaced and ride height trim reset. No difference. Again, you never know or predict when the harsh ride is going to occur. 1 turn of the ignition key and its the softest ride you're ever experienced. Never feel a bump. Go into a store come out turn the key and the ride is like riding on 4 telephone poles!

This is an example of how hard she hits. Out to dinner last night with 2 other couples and the 3rd row seats occupied, we hit a bump so hard that the occupents in the 3rd row seats wanted to sit in the seats up front coming back from dinner. Rides too hard back there!

·
Registered
escalade
2 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing ROCK hard rear suspension its a 2013 escalade . Rode like a you was on a cloud but now like a square tired wagon

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
Just swapped my rears and compressor last week after finding (and feeling) a leaky driver rear. Swapped in the new ones, back in business. Never had a key on ride change difference with mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts