Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recieved both of these items in the mail about a week ago and had a chance to use both.

First is grease for you boy's and girls with Hotchkis suspension. I've used this grease in the past on poly bushings with great results. It was'nt until recently when I found it again online and scarfed some up. The grease is long lasting and really only needs a little to go a long way. Its the recommended type of grease from Hotchkis and Energy Suspension. My grease gun has 1cc increments of delivery and I only need to deliver about 8-10cc's each bushing to quiet them down. This is the first time I've had to lube the Hotchkis bushings since installation about 6 weeks ago. I did'nt have allot of grease to initially lube the bushings during install so this may not be an accurate timeframe for future re-lubing. Oh and if it really comes down to it this grease has an anti-bacterial agent in it thanks to the USDA. It could replace a tube of Neosporin in a pinch.

http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1322

OK if anyone has seen my last video's from the track they leave allot to be desired. From vibration to wind noise it was'nt pretty. Allot had to do with the camcorder itself which lacked any anti-shake technology or external mic inputs. After researching a few days I found a new SONY HC42 camcorder on Ebay that fits all the bills. Steadyshot, external mic and camera inputs (for bullet cameras) and very lightwieght. Best $450.00 spent in a while (until the GC coilover group purchase i'm sure).

Anyhow to go along with that is the fact that my homemade 2x4 with Ubolts through it bolted to the passenger headrest was simply not cutting it as a camcorder mount.

Then after more seaching I found Chasecam.com. Along with some high end bullet cams and the pending release of a solid state PDVR unit was a really nice headrest camera mount. Its very easy and fully adjustable. Best of all the brushed silver color thats offered matchings the interior of the V perfectly. Camera mount was $53.00 shipped, including the Governors share.

https://www.chasecam.com/cruisecam/index.html

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
Very cool,
That may turn out to be better than what I was playing with today. I went by Fryes and bought a spy cam and a DVR USB capture card/box for the laptop. Unfortunately I just found out that my old laptop is USB1 and is too slow and USB2 is :banghead: required. Your route may be cheaper than a new laptop. hmmm I wonder if Dell is still open?

I found a couple cool places to mount a couple spy cams. There are two bolts underneath either fog light under the fascia and should give some protection and look cool down low. On the rear there are 3 plastic Christmas tree fasteners that hold the lower fascia on which would be good low or you could use the license plate screw for a clear shot rearward. I am still looking for a place to have rear or front suspension in view all the while viewing front and or rear. I’m looking for that NASCAR in car cam look. I was in the garage with my flat screen monitor mocking up placement this afternoon.

My intention was to put the laptop in the spare compartment and use the motion sensor to pause while in the hot pit. The spy cams I found use RCA cord back to the black box/laptop. The rear license plate screw would be the easiest to close the trunk on the cables to the trunk.
I was hoping to have ready by Laguna Seca but unless Santa is really nice with a new faster more better laptop, don’t think it’s going to happen. Dang it.:crying2:

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dennisscars said:
Very cool,
That may turn out to be better than what I was playing with today. I went by Fryes and bought a spy cam and a DVR USB capture card/box for the laptop. Unfortunately I just found out that my old laptop is USB1 and is too slow and USB2 is :banghead: required. Your route may be cheaper than a new laptop. hmmm I wonder if Dell is still open?

I found a couple cool places to mount a couple spy cams. There are two bolts underneath either fog light under the fascia and should give some protection and look cool down low. On the rear there are 3 plastic Christmas tree fasteners that hold the lower fascia on which would be good low or you could use the license plate screw for a clear shot rearward. I am still looking for a place to have rear or front suspension in view all the while viewing front and or rear. I’m looking for that NASCAR in car cam look. I was in the garage with my flat screen monitor mocking up placement this afternoon.

My intention was to put the laptop in the spare compartment and use the motion sensor to pause while in the hot pit. The spy cams I found use RCA cord back to the black box/laptop. The rear license plate screw would be the easiest to close the trunk on the cables to the trunk.
I was hoping to have ready by Laguna Seca but unless Santa is really nice with a new faster more better laptop, don’t think it’s going to happen. Dang it.:crying2:
I think a new MiniDV camcorder is a better and cheaper investment at this point. Unless of course the laptop is getting full of busty cheerleader DIVX videos, then I completely understand and sympathise.

Most new camcorder have a LANC function that allows placement of a very nice wired remote for you to control the camcorders functions while in motion.

Good ideas on the bullet cam mounting points. I want a rear camera pointed at the front for suspension movement as well. The best position I found for front suspension movement is the front brake air duct. I mocked it up and if done properly you can skinny the wire outside the front fascia and through the grill, under the hood and then over or under your passenger mirror to the inside.

P.S. Merry X-Mas, I think we are the only 2 up on the board!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
GTP said:
P.S. Merry X-Mas, I think we are the only 2 up on the board!
Pretty sad for the likes of us...:nono:
Merry Christmas and hope Santa brings you all the mods you wished for. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ctsvett said:
There is a mini dvr (solid state) that even runs on batteries.... I will try to find the link... I left the catalog with heavmetals...

Reed
I'd be interested in seeing who makes it. Chances are though its the same 320X240 res one thats been out there for about a year going under different brands.

Until the chasecam.com one which is MPEG4 at 640x480 I don't know of any other one on the market. That one can use batterys to.

I chose a MiniDV because to date I have'nt had a problem with vibration when recording to tape. If this was on a motorcycle or something more rigid I might rethink the purchase.

I plan on trying the camera first at the track. Then adding a couple bullet cams and a A/B switch down the road. They even have a inexpensive PIP module for video splitting.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Great stuff! A SHO buddy of mine has a bullet cam on his SHO and got some great footage following me on some back roads in Southern Indiana last summer. He's also got footage at Putnam Park. The picture quality is great and it's incredibly smooth and steady. I plan on doing this for the V.

He runs a SHO parts business, among other vehicles, and is very busy. I'm going to pester him to see if he'll get some of those videos up.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Silver Baron said:
Here is the best bang for the buck video system.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11101176&whse=&topnav=&browse=
You still need a recorder. But you get 4 seperate feeds on one split screen. on one tape. e.g. ouside / driver / pedals /font wheel.
I tired wireless with not much luck, too much interference. I got the Swann DIY color camera which uses RCA cord and a USB black box, now I just need to update my laptop... cha-ching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts