Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started to notice a clunking in both the front and rear of the car when driving down the road, it kind of sounds like the strut mounts but looking online on every parts site I know of. None have any listing for any other parts for the suspension beside the actual struts and control arms, so if I wanted to fix just a strut mount im pretty much SOL. The front struts were replaced by the previous owner with some KYB struts, is there anything else I should look at or maybe another place with a bigger selection of suspension parts for these cars?

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
"Sounds like"...

You need to not throw money at the car and isolate what the issue is THEN go about fixing it. We can't help you with that.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried, had it up on the rack a couple dozen times and nothing is making a sound, not even a squeak lol. Trust me I'm not trying to throw money at it for no reason, but this clunk is driving me insane.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
SuperDaveSTS said:
I've tried, had it up on the rack a couple dozen times and nothing is making a sound, not even a squeak lol. Trust me I'm not trying to throw money at it for no reason, but this clunk is driving me insane.
Front lower control arm bushings

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mick lol, that helps, another question for anyone who replaced front end components. Can I use the poly bushings for the CTS on my STS? I'd hate to replace stock worn out factory rubber junk with the same.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS V8 AWD 1SG
111 Posts
I really don't know what bushings do you need the one for the control arm, differential, or what the lower control arm bushing is sold with control arm

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
GM does not sell the lower control arm bushings separately. They are available aftermarket, but if you're going to that much effort and re-aligning the car, GM may have been right...

When my wife's 2007 needed both LCA's under warranty, they did an upper as well. The AWD must be completely different and hasn't needed any so far.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Sport 3.6
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not really sure either, when I was looking at the bushings they all seemed to be in good shape. None were torn and looked to be in one piece, which leads me to the upper strut/shock mounts. The only noticeable clunking "I could reproduce" was on the drivers rear lower control arm, there was a definite clunk I could hear.

·
Registered
2016 XTS AWD V6
13 Posts
I had the same thing, couldn't figure out what it was after looking underneath a couple times I came on here and someone mentioned front brake calipers that are mounted with bolts that allow the caliper to flex and over time they elongate the holes which allow the calipers to giggle too much and make a metal to metal sound. *I replaced both calipers with new mounting brackets from NAPA for eighty bucks apiece. *Now it is as quiet as the day I drove it off the showroom floor. **

K

·
0 Posts
I'm not really sure either, when I was looking at the bushings they all seemed to be in good shape. None were torn and looked to be in one piece, which leads me to the upper strut/shock mounts. The only noticeable clunking "I could reproduce" was on the drivers rear lower control arm, there was a definite clunk I could hear.

Driver side lower control arm bushing failure is a common fault in these cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts