Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like others, my '96 Deville's surge tank has a leak. I was quoted $100 for a new one.
What I want to know is, how hard is this to do at home? I doesn't look terribly complicated.
Would anyone have a quick How-To?

I did a search but didn't see the process spelled out anywhere.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,324 Posts
Where is it leaking? Mine just had a hairline crak at the purge line nipple that I was able to seal with JB Weld. I have never had to replace one...... yet, but I think you need to remove the battery then sort of rotate it out from around the accumulator after removing all the hoses and mounting bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same hairline crack. You say JB Weld worked? Where can I pick that up? I tried an epoxy, but the pressure just blew it out.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,324 Posts
JB Weld worked like a charm for me. Infact I used it yesterday to repair a broken mounting flange on the grill of my wifes '96 Bonneville. Not sure where you are or where you can get it but I would think most auotparts stores or hardware stores would have it. It is a 2 part epoxy. Be advised that it cures very slowly. Give it 24 hours to cure and it will be almost as hard as steel.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I did a replacement.
Sam hairline crack at the nipple.
I used waterproof epoxy.
It held no problem but a reknown N* dude by the name of Bb*** who used to be on here told me it'll eventually fail.

So I replaced it and found that it was seeping into the epoxy and would have failed.

Anyways, I have posted a step by step on here inlcuding the cost of the tank ($45 from gmpartsdirect.com)

I did a tank replacement AND a coolant change.

Its simple enough but its soo freakin tight in there that I was totally exhausted by the time i was done.

Lemme see if I can find that thread for you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts