Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
'04 DeVille
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 2004 Deville, White with 150,000 miles for $2400. Looked at the car on Monday and it is in excellent condition. It is being sold by a mechanic that buys cars from dealers that would otherwise go to auction, fixes them up and sells them. Drove it for a while, saw no signs of overheating, the transmission shifted well and the seller seemed like a stand up guy so agreed to purchase it. I asked him what I would need to do to it and he told me that one shock was broken and he recommended I get the transmission fluid replaced as it was very smelly. As part of the negotiations, he agreed to have both things done for an extra $200 and I would pick the car up on Friday.

Last night he called to give me a status update as he had said he would do and now my good feeling on this deal is a little soured as I don't know if he is lying to get some more money or if the transmission is shot and I need to get my deposit back and keep looking. What he said is he budgeted $80-100 for the fluid exchange but the guy charged him $180 as he had to flush it twice and use two filters. That doesn't make sense to me or to my friends so wanted to check in here before I get the car tomorrow. I guess I'm especially concerned after reading that this transmission shouldn't be flushed.

For the price I'm getting the car for compared to other cars in the area, I could actually pay for some repair and still come out ahead. Or, does this guy know there are some big problems coming and is trying to dump it before they happen? He did say he liked the car so much he kept it as his personal car for a couple years.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Smelly (burnt?) trans fluid is a big red flag right off the bat. As in pass.

Correct, no transmission should ever be flushed. And as far as two filters goes, the filter is only accessible during a rebuild, and it is impossible to use two.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,278 Posts
Found a 2004 Deville, White with 150,000 miles for $2400. Looked at the car on Monday and it is in excellent condition. It is being sold by a mechanic that buys cars from dealers that would otherwise go to auction, fixes them up and sells them. Drove it for a while, saw no signs of overheating, the transmission shifted well and the seller seemed like a stand up guy so agreed to purchase it. I asked him what I would need to do to it and he told me that one shock was broken and he recommended I get the transmission fluid replaced as it was very smelly. As part of the negotiations, he agreed to have both things done for an extra $200 and I would pick the car up on Friday.

Last night he called to give me a status update as he had said he would do and now my good feeling on this deal is a little soured as I don't know if he is lying to get some more money or if the transmission is shot and I need to get my deposit back and keep looking. What he said is he budgeted $80-100 for the fluid exchange but the guy charged him $180 as he had to flush it twice and use two filters. That doesn't make sense to me or to my friends so wanted to check in here before I get the car tomorrow. I guess I'm especially concerned after reading that this transmission shouldn't be flushed.

For the price I'm getting the car for compared to other cars in the area, I could actually pay for some repair and still come out ahead. Or, does this guy know there are some big problems coming and is trying to dump it before they happen? He did say he liked the car so much he kept it as his personal car for a couple years.

Thanks for the help!
=================================
He did say he liked the car so much he kept it as his personal car for a couple years
LIES - LIES - LIES -

broken shocks? - really?
a PAIR of new Monroe shocks would cost $65 -
and would take a mechanic less than one hour to change -

I would get your deposit back - if you can -
and keep looking -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,789 Posts
I'd walk, unless you are willing to replace or rebuild the trans.

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
So this mechanic has been driving it around with a broken shock?

Seems odd. If he kept it as a personal car for a while, it should be ready to go - not need broken things fixed.
Unless he drove it hard, and is now ready to unload it now that it is showing signs of wearing out.

·
Registered
'04 DeVille
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all. I am going to meet with the transmission shop to get the straight scoop on what was done and see if they pulled any transmission codes.

·
Registered
'04 DeVille
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I certainly hope this guy is a better mechanic than a salesman. Talked to the owner of the transmission shop and he said it is fine, in fact he was pretty impressed how good it was for the # of miles. He also said he would normally not flush a transmission with that many miles but it was so clean, he was sure it had been done before.

So, I'm now the proud owner of a DeVille. :)

----------

I was so focused on the condition of the car I neglected to pay any attention to a few things.

#1 The car has no cup holders!!! Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution to this? Please?
#2 It has air conditioned seats. I like this very, very much!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,494 Posts
Does his car still have the onboard DTC feature, and if it does,

wendellWI - learn how to pull your own codes from the car's system. Study the proper year/model sections of the sticky thread "How to pull codes" on the main Deville forum page.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,278 Posts
Well, I certainly hope this guy is a better mechanic than a salesman. Talked to the owner of the transmission shop and he said it is fine, in fact he was pretty impressed how good it was for the # of miles. He also said he would normally not flush a transmission with that many miles but it was so clean, he was sure it had been done before.

So, I'm now the proud owner of a DeVille. :)

----------

I was so focused on the condition of the car I neglected to pay any attention to a few things.

#1 The car has no cup holders!!! Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution to this? Please?
#2 It has air conditioned seats. I like this very, very much!
===================================
there are a LOT more "toys" than cup holders -

read the Owners Manual - cover to cover - at least TWICE -

if you didn't get the OM - go here for a free download -
http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/cadillac/2004-cadillac-deville-owners-manual

-------------------------------

then - if you are up to it -
check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

----------

wendellWI - learn how to pull your own codes from the car's system. Study the proper year/model sections of the sticky thread "How to pull codes" on the main Deville forum page.
==========================
yes - Deville through 2005 -

·
Registered
97 DeVille
172 Posts
This would annoy/worry me. Earlier, you wrote the seller told you that the transmission was flushed TWICE but the person who did it said the original fluid looked really clean [so, they wouldn't have done it twice]...

But I hope your happy with your new Caddy!

·
Registered
'04 DeVille
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am trying to get the codes as requested but don't think I'm understanding the directions as i can't get it to work. This is what i have. Everything is digital but it does have a knob for the temperature.

dash.jpg

·
Administrator
68,494 Posts
Read the proper year model section of the sticky - does your car have 3 DIC control rocker/buttons just right of the DIC ? Those, not HVAC controls, are what you use to enter and control the DTC readout.

·
Registered
'04 DeVille
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very happy so far but already had my first oops. ;(

Transitioning from an F-150 I underestimated how bumpy my driveway is and how low the ground clearance on the DeVille is. There were already a few cracks in the lower left air dam. There are now many more with 2 cracks on the side going into the marker light.

The fluid was not flushed twice. He didn't explain it well and I misunderstood what he did say.

This would annoy/worry me. Earlier, you wrote the seller told you that the transmission was flushed TWICE but the person who did it said the original fluid looked really clean [so, they wouldn't have done it twice]...

But I hope your happy with your new Caddy!
----------

Read the proper year model section of the sticky - does your car have 3 DIC control rocker/buttons just right of the DIC ? Those, not HVAC controls, are what you use to enter and control the DTC readout.
It's a 2004 and i'm reading this sticky.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

·
Administrator
68,494 Posts

·
Registered
'04 DeVille
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you!

----------

Codes:

IPM
B0429 Current Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance
B1004 History Keep Alive Memory (KAM)
U1000 History Class 2 Communication Malfunction

IRC
B1327 History Device Power Circuit Low
U1064 History Loss of Communications with DIM
U1016 History Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM

PCM
P0420 Current Catalyst System Low Efficiency (Either O2 sensor or the Catalytic converter are bad. Or, the O2 sensors are giving too close to the same readings)
P0741 History TCC System Stuck Off
B2507 History Seat Temperature and Mode Signal (Not sure what this has to do with the Power train)

RCC
B1009 History EEPROM Checksum Error

RIM
C0658 History Level Control Compressor Circuit High

SDM

----------

BTW, here's the car.

·
Registered
'04 DeVille
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would sure appreciate any feedback or insight on anything I should be aware or concerned about, especially if there is anything that needs to be addressed to avoid a larger problem down the road.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Clear codes and see what comes back even as history. The low power and loss of comms usually occur from battery being low or unhooked at a point.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts