Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Edmund Tijerina - Express-News

Only the finest casket would do for the King of Soul, the King of Pop, and someday, for a Rey Feo.

More luxurious than a Bentley and with seemingly nearly as many features, the casket that holds Michael Jackson’s body is a 500-pound piece of solid bronze handicraft with 14-karat gold handles and an entirely hand-stitched velvet interior.

Suggested retail price: $50,000.

It’s called the Prometheus, and the caskets take a year to make, by special order only. Mission Park Funeral Homes of San Antonio have two of them.

Dick Tips, the owner of Mission Park, bought the first one made, with serial number 1. He also has No. 2, in case any customers want to purchase one.

He learned about the ultimate casket a few years ago at a funeral convention and bought it as part of his own advance arrangements.

“I had this one made for myself,” Tips said. “I just appreciate it. It’s like a fine piece of furniture or a Ferrari.”

On the outside, the perfectly polished, hand-rubbed bronze gleams as brightly as the gold handles. If the handles were solid gold, they would be too soft to support the casket when pallbearers carried it.

Inside, the locking mechanisms form an airtight seal that would allow the casket to float in water. It also contains a “memorial record tube,” a glass cylinder that contains information about the occupant, in an event of an emergency.

The interior velvet, in a color known as Royal Plush, almost leaps out in softness and luxury with all hand-sewn stitching and pleating.

Music legend James Brown had No. 3 of the Prometheus model, Tips said. It was at Brown’s funeral that Jackson saw the casket and decided he wanted to be buried in that type of casket, too, Tips said.

Unless a king, queen, prince or even an archduke orders the casket, Tips would be the only remaining member of royalty to own one. During the 2005 edition of Fiesta, he served as the people’s king, the Rey Feo.

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts
By Edmund Tijerina - Express-News

Dick Tips, the owner of Mission Park, bought the first one made, with serial number 1. He also has No. 2, in case any customers want to purchase one.

:histeric:

Sorry, I regressed to my childish self for a minute.

BTW...I'll just stick with ym CTS

-Mark

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
Is this the Cadillac Owners CTS forum? Is there no freakin' escape from the onslaught of Michael Jackson hoopla...anywhere?

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it got me one complaint (so far) and one more additional post. Should I thank M J for this??

I must agree with you, however.

·
Registered
09 CTS
87 Posts
Fortunately the man is dead and buried, so pretty soon the media will forget about him and we can be spared the constant onslaught of MJ BS. :mad2:

Just an opinion... :cookoo:

Frank Gonzalez

·
Registered
White Diamond 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 (Fully Loaded)
75 Posts
I apologize in advance for giving this thread a little more life but I have a question for those of you that were around in the 60s and 70s; what was the public reaction/outcry like when Elvis and John Lennon died? I personally don't understand how some people invest so much energy (whether good or bad) into the life of a celebrity, but I wonder if there is that much of a difference between what we have seen for MJ and what would could expect in the death of another celebrity of his caliber?

Again, my apologies for bringing up a non-auto related issue but I figure some of you folks here may be able to shed some light. Thanks.

·
Registered
Cadillac
111 Posts
Both of those deaths were huge events as well. However, the difference is that we did not have 24/7 news coverage in those days. Now the tv news programs have so much air time to fill that they over-do every event.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts