Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
33 Posts
as I understand it nothing will interface with the N* comp. Is anybody a computer software designer? My buddy wrote the program for the mustang dyno tach adapter, and wrote software for STIs, people on the coast are different than 45-4800 above sea level, In Utah Im the only one who has interest that I know of... I have heard of N* with whipples and nitrous-175 shot back in the day, but hes not around anymore-I wonder why. they use them in sandrails for the Dunes

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as I understand it nothing will interface with the N* comp. Is anybody a computer software designer? My buddy wrote the program for the mustang dyno tach adapter, and wrote software for STIs, people on the coast are different than 45-4800 above sea level, In Utah Im the only one who has interest that I know of... I have heard of N* with whipples and nitrous-175 shot back in the day, but hes not around anymore-I wonder why. they use them in sandrails for the Dunes
I don't know what is so mystical about this computer system. I haven't worked with it, but I've worked with BMW, Mercedes, Ford, and MOPAR computers without any problem...

I'll email the company to see what's up with this kit.

Who is that guy with the turbo sts?

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
The 06 DTS can run Boost!
The 04 abd 05 may have a chance.
The 2000 to 2003 would be a long strech.

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 06 DTS can run Boost!
The 04 abd 05 may have a chance.
The 2000 to 2003 would be a long strech.
Did you get this from the supercharger people?

I hope this thing is true. The Cadillac will finally have the power and the luxury to run with the best.

·
Registered
Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd
305 Posts
Don't get your hopes to high, the hardest thing is not finding superchargers, it's finding or figuring out how to run a piggyback or stand alone computer. Really unless you are filthy rich it's just not worth the money. Not to mention the picture of that N* would never fit in a Cadillac with those headers on it. That looks like something set up for a Fiero, or a RWD setup, although the pulleys and belts would be on the backside of the motor for a RWD setup.

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fill me in

What makes the Northstar computer such a PITA? I helped a friend of mine do a supercharger install on a Mercury Marauder. It's not a Cadillac, but the engines are roughly equivalent concepts (4.6 liter V8, 32v DOHC). The supercharged bolted on and we retuned the computer. What prevents the same thing from being done on a Northstar? Did Cadillac deliberately make the computer impossible to modify or tune?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Apparantly the OBDII is difficult to hack. And according to aftermarket tuning companies there isn't enough demand to justify the development of different programs including ones which would support superchargers running through the factory pcm. I think they should come to this forum, there seems to be plenty of demand at a reasonable price. I think that is the hang up though, getting it done at a reasonable price, something inline with camero, mustang, corvette, aftermarket tunes.

·
Registered
Cadillac
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparantly the OBDII is difficult to hack. And according to aftermarket tuning companies there isn't enough demand to justify the development of different programs including ones which would support superchargers running through the factory pcm. I think they should come to this forum, there seems to be plenty of demand at a reasonable price. I think that is the hang up though, getting it done at a reasonable price, something inline with camero, mustang, corvette, aftermarket tunes.
Okay, this makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
'95 White Diamond Eldorado Biarritz
184 Posts

That and the fact that the 4t80e is maxed out from the factory. Say your company wanted to sell a modified N* PCM/Supercharger package, in order to avoid liability you would need to state that the current Transmission would not be able to handle the additional power. That means that in addition to the super charger your would need to rebuild your Trans. which would likely go at least, what, $7000+? That figure right there is end-of-story for most ppl. intersted in supercharging/boosting there Caddy...

·
Registered
82 fleetwood - 97 deville
452 Posts
That and the fact that the 4t80e is maxed out from the factory. Say your company wanted to sell a modified N* PCM/Supercharger package, in order to avoid liability you would need to state that the current Transmission would not be able to handle the additional power. That means that in addition to the super charger your would need to rebuild your Trans. which would likely go at least, what, $7000+? That figure right there is end-of-story for most ppl. intersted in supercharging/boosting there Caddy...
If the 4T80E is "maxed" out from the factory, why have the majority either:
1. gone an obscene amount of miles on a stocker
2. went FI/NOS and never toasted a piece
3. drive it like a manual and rip rubber times 3285631456189065
4. etc etc on and on and on...

i have never really heard of any sort of "weakness" in the 4T80E...EVER...and some get abused worse than a dragstrip monster...the little 4T65E on the 3.8L motors however? junk...and they are finding that out now that they have the 303hp 5.3L LSx based V8 in front of them...

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree with Fubar. I've never heard of any weakness associated with the 4T80E. Acklac, you might be right if your running boost, honestly I don't know, but I've never heard that they were "maxed out" from the factory. If that is true that is indeed another reason aftermarket companies won't touch Cady PCM's also.

·
Registered
'95 White Diamond Eldorado Biarritz
184 Posts
Sorry!, let me clarify my posistion on the 4T80e: I beat the piss out of it all the time, never lets me down..It does have a few issues, almost all are related to some sort of electrical sensor (ISS).The gears,bands,clutches etc rarely fail, I've maybe seen a handful of posts regarding these compoenents.

So yes, the 4T80e is a beast, but it is maxed out @ 305ft/lbs...If I get time I will try and dig up the link on Caddy-info. I believe it is from a GM tech website and it notes that the 4T80e is currently at it's limits...I belive Mark was afraid to drive his STS in anything but second untill he got his (Tranny) rebuilt, as I recall the people doing the job said the increase in torque would rip the Tranny out from under the car..lol. BBOB always said a stock N* could take 400hp (or more ?)...The 4T80 is a different story

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Come on Bert
You have to have seen this engine in the shop?
It was for a buggy.
The rest of the pictures are from that semi hack/fabricators shop.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
So yes, the 4T80e is a beast, but it is maxed out @ 305ft/lbs...If I get time I will try and dig up the link on Caddy-info. I believe it is from a GM tech website and it notes that the 4T80e is currently at it's limits...
You're right -- GM lists 305 lb*ft of torque as the maximum the 4T80 is designed to handle. Is it coincidence that that's just 5 lb*ft higher than the most torquey engine ever installed in front of it (the VIN Y Northstar)? One would think that they would have used the 4T80 in the LS4 Impalas and Monte Carlos instead of the 4T65, who knows. The 4T80 has a maximum engine torque of 305 lb*ft and the 4T65 has a maximum engine torque of 280 lb*ft. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why the 4T80 wasn't used in the LS4 Impalas and Monte Carlos?

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
One would think that they would have used the 4T80 in the LS4 Impalas and Monte Carlos instead of the 4T65, who knows. The 4T80 has a maximum engine torque of 305 lb*ft and the 4T65 has a maximum engine torque of 280 lb*ft.
4T65E HD
MN7 Transmission - Automatic 4 Speed, HMD, 4T65-E, Heavy Duty

1 - 20 of 51 Posts