Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been surfing this forum for awhile now, since I'm picking up my new 07 Monday, and finding a wealth of information - but it's scattered all over the place...

First: I was hoping that those who know can help me out by clueing me in and directing me to the aftermarket companies who provide some of the more reputable products for the Escalade, like Dinan for BMW for example.

Second: I really want to supercharge or turbo my truck, who makes the best kit out at the moment? Like usual, I want as much power as I can get, but I don't want to compromise reliability...and it would be nice not to spend $$$.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,741 Posts
I don't want to try to handle my Lade with any more power than stock + Predator. I will get myself in trouble. And I have had much much faster sports cars. Getting to speed is one thing, but it sometimes gives the driver a false confidence when it comes to stopping and handling. Again, thats just me. Perhaps the poster is a better driver than me.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
There are some turbo and supercharger options, the trans is the weak link in both 02-06's and the 07's too, if you go this route you will want to look into getting someone to rebuilt your trans to make it bullit proofed. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
141 Posts
Hello,
We have both supercharged and turbocharged the 2007 Escalades. The link in the previous post shows all of the specs to our kit. It is currently the only supercharger kit available.(You choose Paxton or Vortech)

If you are looking for the best bang for your buck, supercharger is the way to go. You get more horsepower per dollar than the turbo.

As for the tranny , we have installed superchargers on many Escalades and these trannys are rock solid unless someone is beating the **** out of them (neutral drops, poor maitenance i.e low fluids) or have installed their mods incorrectly. For several years now the biggest names in aftermarket supercharging have had supercharger kits on the market for these vehicles and they have in no way, shape, or form pulled them due to faulty trannys or suggested tranny upgrades when installing these kits.
Keep in mind, the 02-07 Cadillac trannys are the same units supplied in the Chevy/GMC trucks and suvs when you select the Towing package. Cadillac does this to ensure no problems in their premium truck lineup. As far as the new 6 speed tranny, we have been in many of them (GM 6-speed autos) and are confident they will hold the additional power supplied by a supercharger/exhaust combo. However, if you get into upgraded heads/valvetrain on top of the supercharger/exhaust we highly recommend our Heavy Duty torque converter, as this is the only failure we have heard on these trannys (02-07) and this is the way to solve the problem (recommended for towing also)

If you would like any more info or have any questions about these transmissions or the supercharger kit we would be happy to help you out and answer them

Anthony
Big 3 Performance
262-542-2443
http://www.big3performance.com/home.asp?id=1

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I know at least 10 people with 03's to 05's that blew their trans in their Escalade's without any mods, I have 3 customers with supercharged 03's and 04's that all are on their second transmissions, one their third. The transmissions are the weak link, these are not kids their 50-60 years old people, so they are not beating the hell out of their trucks like kids would.

·
Registered
Cadillac
141 Posts
First thing I want to say is I'm not here to get into a typing contest, but I wanted to give all of you the information that you need to be comfortable with the thought of doing mods (aka supercharger) and not needing to be concerned about the transmissions in your Escalades.

Here are some tranny specs on what we know for fact:

Capable of 500 RWHP
4L60 / 4L65E
97 vette - 06 vette 5.7L/6.0L
98 F-body - 02 F-body 5.7L
99 truck - 06 truck 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L
04-06 GTO 5.7L/6.0L
Capable of 630CHP
6L80E
07 Escalade
07 Truck

The 4L60/65E transmissions are derivatives of the 700R4 trans which are offered in MANY different vehicles and versions (i.e transaxle) in the vettes. These transmissions will consistently hold up to 500 RWHP and even higher on occasion. Input shaft speed is what will really kill a 4L60E trans not power levels. The bearings in a 4L60/65 are not up the the task of extremely high shaft speeds which is caused by raising the rev limiter of the engine. When an inexperienced shop or tuner does not know this, one can easily destroy the transmission of this type. Being as these supercharger kits are for 2007 and up vehicles only, lets address the transmission at hand, which is actually a 6L80E transmission. This transmission is nothing like the old 4-speeds (4L60/65E) in the last generation of Escalades. It has items like upgraded input/output shafts, heavy duty/more clutches, even larger/beefier plantery gearset, thicker clutch drum, the list can go on and on...... We have built both types of transmissions and know the pros and cons of each of them. There is no reason any 6L80E transmission should fail prematurely aside from neglect and abuse. Normal spirited driving and even towing loads within the manufacturers weight rating should not affect transmission longevity whatsoever.

If you guys have any more questions or want any further indepth than this on the new transmissions feel free to call us.

Anthony
Big 3 Performance
262-542-2443

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Yes the 6L80E is stronger than the 4L60, the 700R has had a lot of problems in Corvette's, and the Corvette's are 2000 lbs lighter, that makes a huge difference. Time will tell if the 6L80 will handle the power, there are 3 07' Escalade's sitting at Fairway Caddy in Jenkingtown Pa waiting for new transmissions, I found this out Tuesday when I delivered wax to the sales manager. :( If they just used the Allison trans

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know at least 10 people with 03's to 05's that blew their trans in their Escalade's without any mods, I have 3 customers with supercharged 03's and 04's that all are on their second transmissions, one their third. The transmissions are the weak link, these are not kids their 50-60 years old people, so they are not beating the hell out of their trucks like kids would.
hey hcvone, its very weird hearing about people on their 2nd and 3rd transmissions, I got an 05 escalade, with a magnacharger, 3.0" westers pulley, westers custom programming, LT headers, Corsa Touring Catback, NGK TR6 SPlugs, External Air Filter, and the only thing thats keepin my tranny healthy is the TCI Heavy Duty Clutches and shift improvement kit, my 05 Lade is fast as hell, tops at around 140 MPH, im a fast driver and i live in dubai, its extremely hot over here, temperature tops at around 115-120 Degrees Fahrenheit!

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
hey hcvone, its very weird hearing about people on their 2nd and 3rd transmissions, I got an 05 escalade, with a magnacharger, 3.0" westers pulley, westers custom programming, LT headers, Corsa Touring Catback, NGK TR6 SPlugs, External Air Filter, and the only thing thats keepin my tranny healthy is the TCI Heavy Duty Clutches and shift improvement kit, my 05 Lade is fast as hell, tops at around 140 MPH, im a fast driver and i live in dubai, its extremely hot over here, temperature tops at around 115-120 Degrees Fahrenheit!
It's not really weird if you are driving on flat roads vs driving in the mountains which puts a lot more stress on the equipment. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
95 Posts
If you keep your boost to about 6-7 lbs....the tranny should be fine. My Landcruiser is supercharged and many of us had issues with the 2nd gear going out. That gear really hits hard when there is spirited driving. It may be possible to need a "Valve body modification" but I'll let Anthony answer that, he has the knowledge.
airlaird

1 - 15 of 15 Posts