Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CTS with a sunroof/moonroof or whatever you want to call it. A roof window that opens let's put it that way.

If it rains or snows the seal keeps out the water but if I take it through a brushless car wash that uses high speed water jets from overhead then water seeps in past the seal. So is the sunroof technically faulty or is it just the high speed jets being so forceful that it would send water penetrating even through a brand new sunroof?

I'm curious to know othe's experiences with this problem area.
Thank You and good day.

Happy new year.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Hmm. In my grand prix it leaked so bad in heavy rain that it would soak the carpet inside (a small lake)

No sunroof in my CTS. But, i'd assume, if under all other conditions it doesn't leak it's normal.

Cleaning out the drain holes in my grand prix with a high pressure air hose did help a bit with the flooding. There is only so much water a car's drain holes can move at a time, the high pressure hoses might be overwhelming them if there is crap stuck in there. try blowing them out with a compressor if you have access to one

·
Registered
126 Posts
User_Name said:
So is the sunroof technically faulty or is it just the high speed jets being so forceful that it would send water penetrating even through a brand new sunroof?

I'm curious to know othe's experiences with this problem area.
Thank You and good day.
I was having the same problem with these "Laser" Car Washes. I took my car in to get looked at, and the first thing they asked me, was if I had taken it in through them. Of course I said no, but the rep explained that the pressure was simply too much. They took a look and said they found a "kink" in the sunroof and fixed it...not sure what that means.

I still have yet to take it through another high pressure wash...I would rather play it safe.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Ulises said:
I was having the same problem with these "Laser" Car Washes. I took my car in to get looked at, and the first thing they asked me, was if I had taken it in through them. Of course I said no, but the rep explained that the pressure was simply too much. They took a look and said they found a "kink" in the sunroof and fixed it...not sure what that means.

I still have yet to take it through another high pressure wash...I would rather play it safe.
I use the Laser Wash also with no leaks. It is a lot of pressure. At my car wash maintenance door, it is covered with magnetic ribbons that have been blasted off of cars.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Ulises said:
They took a look and said they found a "kink" in the sunroof and fixed it...not sure what that means.
By kink they're probably referring to the drain tubes that run from the sunroof to let the water out. All sunroof's leak in some manner, these tubes are essential for proper drainige under normal use. Any kink or clog will cause the water the backup and make the sunroof Leak.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've put my new 06 w/moonroof through a brushless high pressure carwash 3 times since I took delivery on 12/18. Not a DROP!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Unless the paint formulation has changed, I warn those who own the White Diamond color as it is a more flexible paint due to its application and high pressure water jets can cause the edges to start to peel. I have seen it with my own eyes and I have listened to GM's response on it: blah, blah, blah. My vehicles are only hand-washed. A good friend of mine works at dealership, so that is how I know about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts