Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
03 CTS 5sp manual, 07 STS
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 STS with a damaged sunroof. I know what's wrong, the sliders are damaged and won't slide properly in the tracks. Now realizing that the easy answer is to replace the entire unit, I'm trying to keep costs down. To that end, here's the premise I'm working from:
1. There are sunroof repair kits available. I've seen them listed for just about every car on the road, the only exception being an STS, that being said the kits average $50 in cost.
2. General Motors ( and most manufacturers) tend to draw from a central parts bin whenever possible, so it's possible that the STS shares it's sunroof and/or components with another vehicle.
3. People who buy luxury vehicles don't generally do their own work, so probably aren't part of the DIY target market
So here's the question: Is there a GM vehicle that may share it's sunroof with the STS?
Do all GM sunroofs use the same components?
Bonus question: has anyone tried this?
I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I've pulled the sunroof out of my car once, it's kind of a bear to do. And since the STS is hard to find in the junk yard, and properly takes two people to remove it, given the whole social distancing thing going on now, well you get my point. I prefer to keep this a one man job.
So give me some ideas. If you've tried this, or knows someone who has, I'd like to hear from you.
Thanks so much in advance

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,006 Posts
My best guess would be to look into if the SRX has the same
The SRX uses an ultraview panoramic all glass roof with 3 panels of glass, I can't imagine anything is shared roof wise between these two.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My area of focus here is on the internal workings, specifically the sliders inside the rails. Obviously the glass panels won't work, but the sliders might. That's the nature of the question: Is there any commonality with respect to the internal workings of the sunroof? At present, I'm functioning under the assumption that there is, but the repair kits simply aren't marketed to Cadillac owners.
What I'm hoping for is that someone with experience with sunroofs might weigh in. If there are none, I may be blazing the trail with this research

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
My area of focus here is on the internal workings, specifically the sliders inside the rails. Obviously the glass panels won't work, but the sliders might. That's the nature of the question: Is there any commonality with respect to the internal workings of the sunroof? At present, I'm functioning under the assumption that there is, but the repair kits simply aren't marketed to Cadillac owners.
What I'm hoping for is that someone with experience with sunroofs might weigh in. If there are none, I may be blazing the trail with this research
There is an aftermarket repair kit for SRX ... I really don't think these parts would be shared with SRX the roof behaves differently.

On SRX there is a large amount of weight involved and the glass goes over the roof, vs in the STS there is a small amount of glass that tucks under and slides inside the roof.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I'd be looking at other GM cars (not crossover / SUV) perhaps you'd find something for impala or a buick that would crossover.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly my thought.
I just need to ascertain which GM vehicle. Does the STS share it's chassis or components with any other GM Vehicle?

·
Registered
2014 ELR
107 Posts
The 2007 STS was built on the Sigma platform.The Sigma platform was also used for the first generation CTS and the first generation SRX. All three vehicles were made in the Lansing Grand River Assembly plant. I would check CTS sunroof parts.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
The 2007 STS was built on the Sigma platform.The Sigma platform was also used for the first generation CTS and the first generation SRX. All three vehicles were made in the Lansing Grand River Assembly plant. I would check CTS sunroof parts.
Did CTS sunroof go into roof or over roof?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I believe it goes into the roof.
Then it’s likely to share parts. My reasoning for suggesting non caddy would be that a diy solution or repair kit would be available due to the larger number of sales for the other lines.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
215 Posts
I believe the Sigma platform was a Cadillac exclusive.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
107 Posts
Then it’s likely to share parts. My reasoning for suggesting non caddy would be that a diy solution or repair kit would be available due to the larger number of sales for the other lines.
No other lines.
As posted above the Sigma platform was CTS, STS and SRX only. There is no non Cadillac Sigma vehicle.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
sigh I know there are no non caddy sigma cars... apparently I’m not being explicit enough for you and I don’t really feel like typing that much on my phone right now.

anyways shared sunroof parts are much more likely going to be in cars vs a crossover with a massive roof Regardless of what chassis it is.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
107 Posts
sigh I know there are no non caddy sigma cars... apparently I’m not being explicit enough for you and I don’t really feel like typing that much on my phone right now.

anyways shared sunroof parts are much more likely going to be in cars vs a crossover with a massive roof Regardless of what chassis it is.
Hey..
The OP ask..

"I just need to ascertain which GM vehicle. Does the STS share it's chassis or components with any other GM Vehicle?"

I was answering his question. You spoke up and I clarified. This is no competition here, no need to get all bent out of shape.
I am going to go into the GM Parts book and see if the PN for the STS sunroof is shared by any non caddy vehicle but I haven't made it to work yet.
Take a deep breath and relax, OK?

Besides adding the first gen CTS adds a significant number of vehicles to the pool of possible doner vehicles. A

·
Registered
2014 ELR
107 Posts
I checked the GM parts catalog and unfortunately that sunroof part number is only used in the 2005 - 2011 STS. That part number is not used in any other GM vehicle.

The Sunroof frame part number is 20844351
List price $636.36
Looks to be around $400 at most places.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey..
The OP ask..

"I just need to ascertain which GM vehicle. Does the STS share it's chassis or components with any other GM Vehicle?"

I was answering his question. You spoke up and I clarified. This is no competition here, no need to get all bent out of shape.
I am going to go into the GM Parts book and see if the PN for the STS sunroof is shared by any non caddy vehicle but I haven't made it to work yet.
Take a deep breath and relax, OK?

Besides adding the first gen CTS adds a significant number of vehicles to the pool of possible doner vehicles. A
Thanks so much

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found a couple of videos detailing how to repair other sunroofs. The BMW guys seem to do it as a hobby :cool:. OK joking, but repairing a sunroof is not an unreasonable expectation. I plan on watching a couple of videos to see what's involved. So far what I'm guessing is that the frames are vehicle specific, which is to be expected, but the inner mechanism may not be. At least that's the theory I'm trying to prove or disprove.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts