Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, when I close the sunroof from a fully open position, it will close 3/4 of the way and then reverse and fully open and stay there. I have to move the switch to the full open position and move it to the closed position again and it will close. I know that there's a saftey feature where if something is in the path of the closing sunroof, it will reverse automatically.

That's not the case here. The sunroof opens and closes very smoothly with no hesitation. So far, I've always been able to close the sunroof, but I'm worried that I won't be able to if this condition gets worse.

Also, when it reverses to a fully open position, shouldn't it try to close again on its own since I have the switch in the closed position?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
There have been some erratic sunroof controls reported by owners since the car became available. Take it to your dealer.

·
Registered
03 White/Diamond CTS (sold)
1,663 Posts
There have been some erratic sunroof controls reported by owners since the car became available. Take it to your dealer.

my car being one of these unlucky few......
i think i had the car back at the dealership 5 or so times for the sunroof issue...... they pretty much at the end replaced the whole unit (or so they said) and seemed to work for the short time till i got the car gone!!!

like koz said, take it to your dealer!!!

--------------------------------
Helo Tease 18" Chrome Rims w/Tires for sale:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1702&sort=2&cat=500&page=1

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
Sometimes, when I close the sunroof from a fully open position, it will close 3/4 of the way and then reverse and fully open and stay there. I have to move the switch to the full open position and move it to the closed position again and it will close. I know that there's a saftey feature where if something is in the path of the closing sunroof, it will reverse automatically.

That's not the case here. The sunroof opens and closes very smoothly with no hesitation. So far, I've always been able to close the sunroof, but I'm worried that I won't be able to if this condition gets worse.

Also, when it reverses to a fully open position, shouldn't it try to close again on its own since I have the switch in the closed position?
Mine does the same thing. I also read some where there is a feature with it that if it feels anything blocking its path it will stop closing and go back to its last position. Check and make sure nothing is in the mechanism that would cause it to do so. If all else fails, give your dealer a call.

·
Registered
Cadillac cts
27 Posts
i agree with above check your tracks for debris. the sales guys first thig abut the car when i bought it was that the sunroof and all the windows were able to sence something in path and stop to avoid crushing things like fingers. if no debris id go to the dealer

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing that can possibly be in the track are some pine needles. My neighbor has a big pine tree and it constantly drops the needles. I find them in every crevice the car has - the trunk track, door and window tracks, etc. So it is possible that some pine needles are in the sunroof track and that's what's causing it to reverse. I have to admit I liked the toggle switch that the other Cadillac models had to open and close the sunroof rather than this rotary knob that the CTS has. I felt you had better control with the toggle switch.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS Luxury Sport
516 Posts
I had similar problems with my sunroof, but no time to leave the cts at the dealership for two days. The dealership believed that I had a short somewhere, so they would need more time to find it. I would press the window switch on the drivers door, and the sunroof would move. :mad: Thankfully it hasn't happened since the first time.
I also realized that you must push the sunroof turn switch completely in and hold it until the sunroof is fully closed or it would stop.
Everyday is an adventure with the CTS:alchi:

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
Mine was in the shop three different times for the exact same thing. The first time they said it was misaligned so they took the glass out & lubed everything and put it back together. That didn't fix it. So the next time I took it in they replaced the motor. That still didn't fix it. So I watched it when it closed & realized it would get to the exact same point every time & then open back up. So I stopped it right before it got to that point & looked to see if it was hitting something. And it was. The little black wind deflector piece that pops up wasn't laying down like it was supposed to. Turns out a there's a little spring in there that makes it pop up when the glass slides back & it was messed up & wouldn't allow the wind deflector to lay down properly. The dealership replaced the whole piece & I've never had another issue.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6
28 Posts
I have an 05 cts with the same problem. My when i try to close my sunroof from a fully open position it would stop 3/4 of the or sometimes it will close but then go to the tilt postion. Sometimes it it would tilt then close then tilt then close then open 1/4 of the way. Apparently the problem has to do with the sunroof switch itself, I was told told that the contacts in the switch would wear out. I've had my switch replaced maybe 3 times already and it seems to fix it but after about 6 months or so it starts acting up again like it is now. I also have seal problem from the roof. It doesnt leak but sometimes rear of the room will open slightly and i would have to tilt the roof and then close it back. I have taken it in and they said they need to replace the whole unit and i have been waiting for it for almost a month now.

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
Mine does it also. It wont even close most of the time unless I apply pressure to the knob. Its likely a problem with your knob. I had it repaired under warranty at one point but obviously it came back. I will just push the knob in since Im out of warranty now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts