Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the car for a year now and just love it. I have had a few minor issues that have all been resolved. In any case, I just opened the sun roof for the first time a week or so ago just to see if it was working properly. All seems to be OK there. Also, I rarely drive with both the front windows open. So...when I did so last week I noticed that the sun screen just vibrates quite a lot. It is worse if the passenger window is only partially opened but I do not notice it at all if just the driver's window is open. The question I have is can this fabric sun screen be adjusted to make it somewhat tighter and, if so, how is it done? Or...should I just take it back to the dealer and ask them to make the adjustment the next time the car is in for and oil change and/or tire rotation. As always, any assistance you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought I saw some comments months ago here about the sun screen for the sunroof being flimsy. It is interesting that the first gen CTSs had a heavier sun screen.

·
Registered
2018 CTS 3.6 Premium Luxury
529 Posts
Have you tried cycling the screen (open and close it several times) to see if it tightens up?

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
It sounds normal for a fabric screen to me. I suspect the screen is designed to be used primarily when the windows are closed.

Although I agree with you that it would be nice if the screen was made out of a thicker & more solid material. That being said, I find the tinting is usually sufficient enough that I rarely use the screen and I almost always take advantage of the climate control.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
193 Posts
Cars in general are designed to run with the windows closed. Especially with these modern cars, they do somewhat unpredictable things with the windows down. Usually, if I'm running with the windows down (which doesn't happen too often during a Texas summer), the roof is usually open as well.

·
Registered
'09 CTS AWD previously, '18 CTS AWD
358 Posts
Have you tried cycling the screen (open and close it several times) to see if it tightens up?
I have same problem. I did open and close it numerous times. It is a pretty flimsy material and not very thick (I have cashmere interior). I just hope it doesn't rip. I am somewhat concerned it will get stretched out and start to droop onto my head or rear view mirror view.

I guess the solution is to just open it up when you have the windows down, if you can stand the sun. Of course having the sun roof closed definitely helps. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a sunroof, just open 'em all up and enjoy life.

·
Registered
2009 Black Ice/Ebony CTS-4 DI FE2
340 Posts
The purpose of the screen is to help keep the interior cool when parked & increace A/C efficiency when driving.
In other words: windows open = screen open.

That being said, mine screen being taut enough doesn't mean yours is. Finish quality seems to be very inconsistent in these cars.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx
278 Posts
when you say the screen flaps...I assume you mean when the windows are open and the screen is fully closed, no open sunroof....in this case....mine also "flaps"...which I beleive is the nature of the beast with a fabric vice hard slide cover.....dont believe any tightening can be accomplished...

Seldom drive with the windows down, but when I do the sun screen is full retracted with the sunroof tilted up or fully open.....

·
Registered
2014 ATS
111 Posts
Does anyone know if the sunscreen is operated by temperature and not just manually. I noticed that as the weather as gotten warmer lately sometimes I come out to find the sunscreen closed even thought when I parked the car it was open. No I don't have ghosts....LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts