Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-v, 2016 Edge Sport
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little story. I had to get my car home to have some mnx done. It would set me backs months as I work in Montana and my home is in Omaha. Snow on the ground in the parking lot when I left. All across Montana and ND is was OK. Could easily light up the rear with a little blip of the throttle. Gent;y cruising at 82 mph 500 miles in i head South at Fargo. Temp had gone up to 14 degree from 10. 25 miles from Sioux falls, snow and ice over the whole interstate. Most patches were scraped by plows leaving a packed frozen layer. I drove 25 mph most of the way for 350 miles. Out of nowhere the back would cut loose. and I was fishtailing. Roads were pretty deserted around 4AM. The freeway interchanges in Sioux Falls were a horror. Couldnt see the lanes and little banks of snow were between the lanes. None of the highways out west are lit up except in the cities. Even people in minivans were zooming by me! Thankfully everybody gave the person who looked like he was driving drunk a wide berth. White knuckled it all the way to Nebraska where they had salted. Got home washed the car. Was lots of little cracks in the PS4 treadblocks. I guess its true what they say. Putting Some Proxes 4 Plus all seasons on these wheels. Tossing the PS4s. New PS4s on some Forgestar 19s when they come in. Put a CF grill on. Getting the service bulletin done on my 8L90. And replacing a leaky ALKY pump on 100% methanol. Gonna change that to 90% meth and it should last longer. She will be up and running hard soon. I kinda wish I didn't do it, even tho it turned out well. Still love my little girl!

·
LF4 Platform Master Tuner
2018 ATS-V M6
553 Posts
Glad you're OK!

I think running 80 to 90% (instead of 100%) methanol content is a good idea for at least three reasons. First, it's less flammable, which makes it safer in the event of a crash or leak. Second, it's a little easier on your pump, fittings, etc. And third, it will actually increase your fuel octane.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,590 Posts
Yeah most don't know you're not suppose to use the PS4S, or any other summer only high performance tire, when temps get below 40 degrees. The cracks your seeing mean that tire is not usable anymore.
I personally think any cars sold north of GA, or the Midwest equivalent, should not be sold with summer tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You definitely risk getting cracks in the summer tires driving on them in below 20° Fahrenheit. Between 20-40 ° you need to drive carefully but cracking may occur below 20° according to Michelin.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front tires were getting tossed as I am putting 19s on the front for summer. The back tires weren't too bad and was hoping to same them. Had to drive it home that weekend. Somany things were planned. Fully aware of the 40/20 degree stuff. Decided to chance it. Can verify when they mean no traction, they are not kidding. Just as my dad said, each generation has to find out for itself that the stove is hot! BTW, the CF front grill cover looks really nice!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you're OK!

I think running 80 to 90% (instead of 100%) methanol content is a good idea for at least three reasons. First, it's less flammable, which makes it safer in the event of a crash or leak. Second, it's a little easier on your pump, fittings, etc. And third, it will actually increase your fuel octane.
My car was tuned by everybody's favorite shop (sarcasm) on this forum. It was for 100% meth. If I change it to 90%, do you think the tune will still be OK--as in my motor will stay intact? On the ALKY forums guys have said pumps and fittings last way longer by using 90% instead of 100.

·
Registered
'17 ATS-V Phantom Grey Sedan 8AT
51 Posts
The front tires were getting tossed as I am putting 19s on the front for summer. The back tires weren't too bad and was hoping to same them. Had to drive it home that weekend. Somany things were planned. Fully aware of the 40/20 degree stuff. Decided to chance it. Can verify when they mean no traction, they are not kidding. Just as my dad said, each generation has to find out for itself that the stove is hot! BTW, the CF front grill cover looks really nice!
Why 19"s? Keep the OEM 18"s and put some hot, sticky rubber on them. 265 & 285/35 is one size up from OEM and makes the car look beefy with just the right amount of sidewall. Better performance also!

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,590 Posts
My car was tuned by everybody's favorite shop (sarcasm) on this forum. It was for 100% meth. If I change it to 90%, do you think the tune will still be OK--as in my motor will stay intact? On the ALKY forums guys have said pumps and fittings last way longer by using 90% instead of 100.
Rule of thumb is you can over octane a tune with no issues , just wasted octane, but don't under octane a tune. Unlike the factory set up a tune is less able to adapt down so you will end up with knock that your ECU can't adapt to. Your favorite tuner should be able to give you tunes for various octane levels if you're prone to change fuels. Mine did at a no cost.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why 19"s? Keep the OEM 18"s and put some hot, sticky rubber on them. 265 & 285/35 is one size up from OEM and makes the car look beefy with just the right amount of sidewall. Better performance also!
You are right, I think. The experts say that the 18s are the best size for performance. The 19s are just for looks.

·
Registered
2015 ATS 2.0T (gone), 2016 ATS-V, 1968 Corvair, 1974 Corvette, 2003 HD Road King
294 Posts
It's a bit different with Meth. It's not just octane but the oxygen in the fuel. You will be fine with 90% if tuned for 100% but it will likely be a bit rich. Octane isn't really the driving factor here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts