Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 DeVille Conv, 93 Allante, 99 DeVille, 03 Escalade
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sold my 68 conv caddy last spring. Worst decision I ever made, about a week later I wanted it back. So I'm looking to pick up a good quality convertible caddy, but really don't mind the year as long as it's 1968 or earlier. Where would you guys recommend looking for one? Ebay? Craigslist? A large car auction? The more I look on Ebay the more I'm frustrated by the extremely high prices, and craigslist just hasn't had a very good selection lately. I'd give an auction a try, but I have no idea where to even start, such as which auctions would have a reasonably caddy and do not require me to be some high end car dealer or collector.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Patience is the key. You might consider joining one of the classic car groups, such as the AACA or CLC, which would give you access to some really nice cars that usually aren't advertised to the general public. As to auctions, any of the big auction houses could have what you want, though their roster will vary from auction to auction. You don't say where you are, but check the auction houses' websites to see where their next auction is and what's going to be up for bid. Bear in mind that auction houses generall charge a buyer's premium of between 8-10%. Ebay and CL is a nice place to look, but be sure to have any car that interests you thoroughly inspected by someone knowledgeable about them if you can't do it yourself. So many horror stories of people buying cars sight unseen off ebay and getting burned with a total pile.

If you wait long enough, the right car for you will come along. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1970 De Ville Convertible
26 Posts
Hey sams,
Just out of curiosity why 68 or earlier? Is it the over/under headlights? I have always wanted a 70 convertible since it was on the original Dukes Of Hazzard TV show which I grew up watching. Then as I got older and researched the cars I realized the 1970 was the last year for the DeVille Convertible. So I finally got one with pretty low mileage a couple of years ago and fixed it up. I am not driving it that much so I am thinking of selling. But I am also worried that the moment I sell it I will regret it. Or maybe I will sell it and buy another Caddy to fix up and just keep adding to the Caddys on the road.

·
Registered
68 DeVille Conv, 93 Allante, 99 DeVille, 03 Escalade
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like headlights on the 68 and the larger engine. In addition, the 68 had so many possible options/features it just adds to the conversation piece when someone is riding with you... more things to talk about. After 68 the older style starts to fade too much to my preference, and once you get into the mid 70's they ruined the engines due to government restrictions.

If I had my choice, I'd love to have a late 40's convertible, but those are so expensive that I cannot afford right now, so will make due with something more reasonable until that day comes.

Have any pictures of your 70 you can share?

·
Registered
1970 De Ville Convertible
26 Posts
I have some pics but when I try to load them it tells me they are too large. Once I figure out how to make them smaller I plan on posting frequently.

·
Registered
2005 STS
33 Posts
Have you tried the Hemming's website, you can narrow your search to your area which allows you to see the car in person and price range so you don't get caught up in an auction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts