Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for the best as my 93 deville may be on her transmissions last legs. Purchased 6 years ago, and has been nothing but a god send to me.
Other then the ole routine maintenance on it, i've ran into an interesting problem. Start up yesterday morning before work everything was normal, until i got on the road. shifting smoothly, was around 40 mph when the speedometer dropped to zero and the car shifter to 1st. I slapped it into neutral and pulled over, and gave everthing a little look over. got back on the road and made it to work fine as if the problem had never happened. On the way back the same problem occurred multiple times, ranging from 2nd to 1st downshifts, to 4th to second downshifts as the speedo would always start jumping around. Am i looking at a VSS replacement, or something a little more pricey$$$$$$$$.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd say you are on the right track. You should check the on board diagnostics to see if that will give any clues. Here is some instructions.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I vote vss.

Ecu uses rpm, vss, tips and existing gear to determine when to shift. If the speed drops to 0, then ecu would command a 1st gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts