Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Cadillac. It's a 2006 2.8 silver smoke car. Nice ride but I may have made a mistake getting the smaller engine. It was the only silver smoke car on the lot and I wanted it. Oh well..

In order to increase the HP. Where should I start first. K & N filter, performance chip (if availabale) ? All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, DanO

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know much about upping cars, but I think I've been reading that people like to buy a cold-air intake and the CTS V's performance exhaust system.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
20 Posts
True. Kinda.

The CAI is correct (Most run Volant) but I think the "V" exhaust is only going to be good on the 3.6L. (Twin tips, diff. rear valance w/ cutouts for the 2nd tip, piping channels under the car, etc.) The 3.6L is already a dual whereas the 2.8 is not.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Try seeing if the dealership will take it back on trade and pay the difference for the 3.6 Liter.

It might be better to pay some more money now and get what you maybe "should have bought"; then have regrets with the 2.8 Liter platform everytime you get in the car.

If the car is relatively "still new"; it may only cost you a few extra grand that you can roll into your financing and this way you'll have the more powerful 3.6 Liter engine with the options that you desire.

Also; don't forget that the dealership in most cases can still do a dealer to dealer search, commonly referred to as a (Dealer-X) dealer exchange and can find you the exact car that your looking for with regard to color and options.

If it was me and you have only had the 2.8 for just a few weeks and are already having regrets; I would clean her up and head back to the dealership and sit down with the sales rep and sales manager and have a discussion about a 3.6 in the color and options that you want.

You won't regret spending a bit more money now and rolling it into your financing than living with a car that you already have reservations about.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did the opposite thing the original poster wanted.

I really wanted Silver Smoke. But the only car nearby with everything I wanted (3.6, GPS, Sports Pck, Lux Pck) was in Diamond White. So I chose that (since Diamond White, Stealth Grey, and Infrared were high on my list of colors too).

The reason I didn't wait was because I needed delivery within a week to get 4.9% Financing and and extra $2100 rebate. And this was after getting the supplier discount (1% below invoice).

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
I just drove an 06 2.8 as a dealer loaner while my 05 3.6 was in the shop. Driving around town in stop and go. I didn't really notice the difference, but as soon as I got on it while leading the pack at a red light, it was then I really missed the 3.6. BIG difference, and the 06 even had the shift yourself auto tranny and I still missed my 05.

·
Registered
NONE
85 Posts
I just bought an 06 CTS 2.8L. I made sure it had a the 6 speed manual tranny. I love it. I am happy with the power. Anything faster and I am sure I would be driving sideways most of the time.

It will be interesting to see what people do to the 2.8's for some more power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts