Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 CTS worked just fine three days ago. Then this afternoon I get in it, start it, back out of the driveway and find that I have no speedometer, no odometer, no 1-2-3-4-5 (in the odometer box when shifting manually), and that other information relying on speed and distance data is incorrect (avg mpg, instant mpg, avg speed). The rest of the car and guages are working just fine (and no CEL).

I'm thinking that there's some output data from the transmission that has been interrupted by a damaged wire, damaged connection, blown fuse, or...? Is there some "black box" that has failed? I tried restarting the engine several times; I tried going back and forth from MPH to KPH--no dice.

I have not yet started chasing this down--have any of you experienced this problem? Does anyone have some suggestions about where to start looking? (I have the full set of shop manuals.)

Thanking you in advance for your assistance!

·
Registered
Cadillac
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mystery may be solved: rat discovered running around garage. When threatened with violence, it took shelter under hood of CTS. Subsequent search revealed nest between battery and fender, at least three small wires from connector chewed apart. This will be difficult to repair, but at least I think I found the problem.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
Something like that happened to me too. It was squirrels! Twice. It was at my office's parking lot.
A lot of work to repair. Thankfully, the damage was covered by the comprehensive section of the insurance. I had to pay the deductible, but the electrical system seemed flaky for a couple of years until the harness was replaced.

·
Registered
Cadillac
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have clipped all wires and will try to solder pigtails onto them-two are only 1/16in. long, then tiny wire nutsto connect. This will be difficult but will probably work. (Traps are set and vengeance will be mine!)

·
Registered
Cadillac
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Five wires chewed through, clipped three more. Soldered pigtails on all eight, used tiny wire nuts to connect the plug to the chewed-off small-gauge wires, wrapped everything in electrical tape. Looked pretty bad when I started, looked OK when I finished, and everything works now! Most difficult part was dealing with very short wires. (Rat is still at large.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts