Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
CTSV
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the problems are with the 2006 tranny's. Mine has felt kind of funny going from first to second sometimes and now it has no reverse. I just made the first payment on it last mounth and am praying this thing isn't going to turn into a money pit. Any and all info would be appreciated before i take it to the dealer and get taken for a ride. Chris:

·
Registered
05 CTS-V / 06 Escalade
1,059 Posts
No Reverse - Does it go into the Reverse Position, and no movement, or You cant even get it into Gear....

They do turn into Money Pits - thats why its best to get a CPO!! Either you spend Money Modding it or you spend money on fixing it!!

My 05 has been to the dealer 10+ in the last year - and its still not 100%, but that's why they call it a "hot rod caddy" the car/drivetrain (Minus the Awesome Brakes) is not meant for that engine, and it shows....

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
88 Posts
My 06 has been in the shop half dozen times for the transmission. I had problems getting into reverse. I have a growling on freeway. And a couple of other things. The dealer replaced the rear tail piece and something else but never went inside my transmission. I'm not exactly sure how they replace the tail piece but that's what the paper work and service manager said. The clutch fluid and resivour was changed. After all that work, I've replaced the clutch and the fluid and I sometimes still can't get into reverse without playing with out shifter.

Here's what I found.

Changing the transmission fluid seem to make the whole transmission shift better and feel more smooth. I changed it myself for $80 (including the ramps, Royal Purple, and a pump,) the dealer wanted $300-something. It was VERY easy.

Even after changing the oil I still have problems getting to reverse (though not as often.) So when I can't get into reverse conventionally I:

Go to fourth and then back to reverse - this works 50% of the time
Go to first and then back to reverse - works 50% of the time
Go to first and let the clutch barely engage - works 75% of the time
Go to fourth and let the clutch barely engage - works 80% of the time
If all else fails (by this time I'm very irritated.) Go to first Pop the clutch roll forward about 10' hit the brakes and then put it in reverse - works 100% of the time

Then things that haven't worked for me:
Revving the engine.
FORCING the shifter into reverse.
Giving it a second to go into reverse.

For me I've just come to live with the reverse issue. My buddy had an fox-body mustang with a Tremec and it had probs going into reverse. I figure it's a Tremec trait or just simply my luck.

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
racecars dont have reverse.. if that makes you feel better

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
The OP isn't giving us enough info.
The second guy might benefit from looking through some old posts.
You can't buy a car like this, and expect everything to be perfect. That said, my car hasn't been much trouble at all. I do think I got one of the good ones. But a good dealer, and a good understanding of the car has helped give me a positive experience owning my V.
You guys might just need a shifter.

Tony

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,082 Posts
I've heard that on the track, if you are trying to shift fast from say 4th to 5th @ about 135 MPH, that you can miss the gate for 5th, and power right past the lockout selonoid, and disintegrate the R gear. That tends to cause a sudden loss of reverese.....not that I would know anything about this particular scenario :suspense:

-Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts