Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I replace the bose subwoofer with say a JL unit right in its place? Or is it not that simple with bose?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,145 Posts
Search is your friend.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I search but only found adding a box with subs or entire systems. I just want to know if I can remove the factory sub and put an aftermarket sub in its place

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,145 Posts
Can't specifically tell you as I have never paid that much attention to that need for base. I know some have changed out components, but it is a PITA and costly.

·
Registered
2016 CTS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD (sold)
823 Posts
Of course you can replace the factory speakers with any aftermarket ones but (1) it may or may not sound better as the factory bose speakers were designed to work with the bose amp/processor, and (2) if there no aftermarket adapters then you will have to splice into the factory wires which means you will need to know the polarity.

·
Registered
2012 CTS AWD 3.0, 2013 C6 GS
6 Posts
The stock sub is free air, MOST aftermarket units are designed to be in an enclosed box. There are some designed for free-air and shallow mount that may work but may also be underpowered with the stock set-up.

JL makes a stealth box to put on the drivers side of the trunk, but it is rather expensive and doesn't include the sub or an amp. Good news is the ease of install since you can use the stock sub input with a LOC and the battery is in the rear so no need to run power to the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. My sub does not sound good, it sounds very distorted that is the only reason I am looking to replace it

·
Registered
2009 CTS Sedan 3.6L DI
24 Posts
Compared to other factory systems, mine sounds horrible and weak...even the factory set up in my Dodge Grand Caravan puts the CTS to shame. Im going to do a little digging and see if I have a bad component, otherwise, I'm going to do an entire system replacement....I don't need a ton of bass, but SOME would be nice.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
I'm not an audiophile, but my Bose (UQA) sounds quite good (better than my Caravan, have one of those too), plenty of bass, certainly not 'weak' or 'distorted'. Can you sub in a different speaker, confirm whether the problem is upstream (amp in the trunk, connections)? I presume the problem you're having applies to all sources (ex: radio, CD, AUX).

·
Registered
2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi
212 Posts
you can add a sub by itself, but as I put in my audio post the amp for the sub is integrated into the sub. So you will need to add an amp and sub. JL Audio has a full sub amp and adapter integration for our cars or you can get a sub that will PLAY "IB" add the amp and wire it up.. if you plan to do it yourself make sure you get a membership with allot DIY for the wiring specs on the car... Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
Black CTS4
27 Posts
External amp and sub is what I have done.

I took the wires going to the factory sub and re-routed them into a 1000watt amp and into a pair of Alpine Type R subs.
Installing an amp is easy with the battery in the trunk - was great not to have to run wires through the firewall and all the way through the cabin to get into the trunk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone find tje part number for a 2009 cts bose subwoofer as mine doesn't seem to work. When I turn the volume up 3/4 to max you can see the speaker moving but in the car you can't here any bass from it only the rear door speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,792 Posts
Can anyone find tje part number for a 2009 cts bose subwoofer as mine doesn't seem to work. When I turn the volume up 3/4 to max you can see the speaker moving but in the car you can't here any bass from it only the rear door speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums! you may or may not get an answer. This thread is 4 years old and the OP hasn't logged on in two years. Maybe a little more Google search would help.

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
2,636 Posts
That and look at the speaker.. The part number will be on it. Sounds more like an Amplifier issue though. Don't know without knowing more.

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac dts
66 Posts
I ran a line out off my Bose sub. Run a 4000 watt amp to two 12” subs ported with a 4 farad cap. All in 0 gauge wire. Pounds for a $600 total. Do have to use a remote bass knob.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts