Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just got a 04 V (Light Platinum) love the car. But I could deffinatly go for some more bass. My 98 mitsu has a stronger base at lower volumes!!

Any recomendations on what I can buy that would fit the V without too much work?

I'm in the Arlington VA area. I don't know if Lindsay would help with something like this but I'm planning on takin my car in this week for some warrenty work....

--rohit

·
Registered
'04 Raven CTS-V
415 Posts
there are a couple threads on the subject you could read up on, but the net is... the stock Bose sub is a 1 ohm 10" with about 25 watts (@ 1 ohm) going to it. Replacing sub with a bigger sub and using stock amp won't do it since the stock bose amp has such low wattage. So the best solution is to get a new sub and piggy-back a sub amp.

Not as easy as you though huh? ;)

T

·
Registered
Cadillac
49 Posts
A free air sub is never a good idea. Basically they suck and give you no punch and it is bad for the speaker. Get an enclosure so you can load the sub and get that desired punch.

Dan

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Dan,

I don't know about that. My setup below sounded pretty damn good for free air. It has been replaced with a JL 12w6v2 on the 500/1 but the ID sub free air did pretty damn good.

Shane

·
Registered
669 Posts
What's wrong with making an enclosure for the existing sub to give it more oomph? Would that not enhance the base?

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
yes true. but the bass will not be deep enough or tight enough. Im telling you get a jl 8w7. make a fiberglass enclosure for the tire well and you are completely stealth and very deep bass wise. (also it will help put some weight on the rear).

"What's wrong with making an enclosure for the existing sub to give it more oomph? Would that not enhance the base?"

I don't think so. Bose are very well designed speakers for their specific purpose when built. If you take them out of their element they are not very good. Its not like a raw driver that you buy for a guitar amp or aftemarket raw driver for a component set. Bose doesn't make "drop in" aftermarket speakers for that reason. They are crossed over as a whole system instead of each speaker. When adding just a sub to a bose car system, you are adding more bass and can't hear the imperfection in the mids and highs.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
Glad your happy.

My $0.02?

BOSE makes funky drivers for the car.

The stock subwoofer is a good doorstop.

The system with it's built in non-adjustable crossover points, and lack of access for supplementing or enchancement SUCKS POND WATER.

To improve it you almost have to replace it.

I am just glad that I have an LS6 I can mod the shit out of. :highfive:

By the way, if any of you audio nut modders are interested, I have an audio sweep generator I will loan out.

Great for fine tunning and finding that one rattle that only happens when you play that one song.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts