Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, maybe someone with more audio knowledge than myself can help me here. My Seville came stock with a Delco system, with the center channel front dash speaker, and rear subwoofer. I so far have installed an Alpine head unit, Alpine CD changer, and Infinity Kappa speakers. The system sounds awesome. But, the stock sub is a little bit lame. I am still running the system through the factory amp, and do not want to change that. So on to my questions. My Alpine head unit has a pre out for a subwoofer. Can I unhook the stock sub, install a new one, hook it straight to the head unit, and be done with it? The HU is amped, so I am assuming it doesn't need an external amp? Lastly, does anyone make an aftermarket center channel sub, to work in direct replacement of the factory one? The bass is not hitting hard enough, in my listening range. If I turn it up, the sound quality gets better, and the bass starts to hit. But, then the overall volume is too high. I am happy with the speaker output, just trying to bump up the sub. Thanks

Don

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
hey man i kno none bose car audio really well i can help you with this one lol. Yes you can unhook your stock sub and instal a new one there i think its a 10 inch sub. The best sub brand is JL Audio one of them will def give you great sound (i have 3 of them in my ETC). As to just connecting the pre out to the sub it cant be done. Its an rca sub out with no amplified output. You need to run an external amp to the sub in order to power it. I do not reccomend useing your stock amp plug to connect to the new sub. This may be very confusing and if you want i have free long distance with my cell phone i can call and help describe it too ya if need be its alot to try and explain it in type.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I buy an amp, and a new sub, unhook the stock sub, tape off the leads, run the amp off of the existing RCA's in the back of the HU, into the amp, and then to the syb, I am in business? I am assuming that there is also a power feed, and a ground to contend with. Is it that simple?

Don

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
that and a remote wire need to be run (this is usually connected to a special blue wire on your aftermarket head not to be confused with the antenna wire that tells the amp to turn on) but yes thats basically it. Its not so hard biggest deal would be accessing the power wire to your batt which i believe on your car is under the rear seat correct?

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
BTW a few subs to look at for your car are Kicker, Audiobahn, Rockford Fosgate, MTX or especially JL Audio (a JL 10w3v2 would be great for the size of the trunk is if you want more though get a 10w6v2. The best sub on the market is the JL w7 series but this sub may be very overpowering unless you want that much bass)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not looking for a ton of bass. Just more than I have now. I cannot control my sub seperate from my speakers. So it seems like it is way behind in the volume range. If I could control it seperate, then problem solved. So that is why I want to hook into the head unit, as it has a seperate sub volume in it. Thanks

Don

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
then the 10w3v2 is the one for you JL Audio is the best no popin at lower bass and handles the higher great as well and its designed for use in small boxes or larger ones (such as using your entire trunk as the box). Take a look over the net and do a little searching youll hear from most that JL Audios the best.

·
Registered
370 Posts
no, no, no. use a kicker in place of the stock sub. the JL's are designed to be put in boxes. kicker has a very high SPL and do not have an extremely long excursion. this will allow you to simply put it in the stock spot and not worry about needing a box. the stock cover should fit over a kicker, too, and the short excursion won't push the cover off. use any amp, it don't matter.
i do have a question, though...
which wire do i tap into to get to the remote wire that turns on the stock amp? i looked at the wires by the amp the other day, but which wire is the one that turns on the stock amp? i want to use this one for my aftermarket amp to push some boxed subs.
Thanks, SAM

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
then the 10w3v2 is the one for you JL Audio is the best no popin at lower bass and handles the higher great as well and its designed for use in small boxes or larger ones (such as using your entire trunk as the box). Take a look over the net and do a little searching youll hear from most that JL Audios the best.
I disagree. The w3 series is designed to work best in small sealed enclosures, not large ones. Installing the sub you mentioned in the factory location would be a waste of a very good subwoofer (not the best, but well above average IMO).

For design/application purposes, the trunk is not considered an enclosure. A sub mounted the way it is in the caddys is considered to be a "free air" or "infinite baffle" sub.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Alpine 9811 in my 93 Eldo. The Hu's amp has been shut off. You don't want to run the HU amp into the factory amp.

I disagree with all of you, JL is good, but not the best. I personally like a RF sub. Nothing beats Alpine and RF together in perfect harmony. Not to mention, RF subs you can put them in a smaller enclosure then the rest.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well now, I am just going to let all of you guys battle this out for a while.:D My SLS has the sub mounted on the rear shelf. The bottom is under the shelf, only covered (a little) by the trunk carpeting. I am planning on installing the new sub, in the stock location. No boxes cluttering up the trunk. Nothing custom either. So, what would be a great sub for this application?

Don

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
anothereldoowner said:
I disagree with all of you, JL is good, but not the best. I personally like a RF sub.
Re-read my post:
D148L0 said:
a very good subwoofer (not the best, but well above average IMO).
anothereldoowner said:
Nothing beats Alpine and RF together in perfect harmony. Not to mention, RF subs you can put them in a smaller enclosure then the rest.
Nothing beats alpine and rf together? you have a lot to listen to.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Dadillac said:
Well now, I am just going to let all of you guys battle this out for a while.:D My SLS has the sub mounted on the rear shelf. The bottom is under the shelf, only covered (a little) by the trunk carpeting. I am planning on installing the new sub, in the stock location. No boxes cluttering up the trunk. Nothing custom either. So, what would be a great sub for this application?
Don
The V guys have been installing free-air subs in their cts', do a search and read their impressions. That may give you some orientation.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
anothereldoowner said:
Not quite sure what it is you mean?
I just meant to clarify something: on your first post you said "I disagree with all of you, JL is good, but not the best.", when in my first post I said the same thing: "a very good subwoofer (not the best, but well above average IMO)."

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
anyone who knows anything about subs know that the w7 series by JL Audio is the best sub period the subject ends at that RF Power Series 3 comes close and thats only because they construct that sub out of titanium.

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
errr....

saying "brand X is the best no matter what" kinda reminds me of a kid saying "my bike is faster then yours"

there really is no "best" there may be very GOOD products... but for any given price point (major factor) and intended use.... it depends on the person.

my old sub consisted of a 15" RF and an MTX amp (325watt x 1) ... I got the thing CHEAP, and hell it was great for my use...

that was perfect for rap music... but since i liked rock, country and dance type stuff... you know... very fast beat... the 15" RF couldn't keep up and it was just like 1 big boomy bass note... it honestly got so bad that I turned the sub off and ran my in cabin speakers full range (stock front 4 and Infinity Kappa rear at the time) I had (have) a 4ch Alpine amp running the in-cabin speakers.

I now have a single 10" in a small sealed box... small company called Dayton Audio, www.partsexpress.com is where you get it, powered by a 600watt x 1 MA Audio amp.... this thing hits HARD and is extremly tight.... but not all that loud... wait... let me rephrase that... it goes *far* louder in my car then I would want... but you will not hear it a mile away... know what I mean? then again I built the whole system for sound quality, not SPL.....

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
anyone who knows anything about subs know that the w7 series by JL Audio is the best sub period the subject ends at that RF Power Series 3 comes close and thats only because they construct that sub out of titanium.
:histeric:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
9 Participants
D148L0